Looking for MD PhD faculty mentor

Started by PHD_2007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PHD_2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I am looking for a mentor that has both a MD and PhD. I'm very interested in academic medicine and I really want to engage in patient care and research. I was wondering if anyone knows any physicians that would be interested in providing advice and/or mentoring students. 🙂 Thanks!!!!
 
Hey all,
I am looking for a mentor that has both a MD and PhD. I'm very interested in academic medicine and I really want to engage in patient care and research. I was wondering if anyone knows any physicians that would be interested in providing advice and/or mentoring students. 🙂 Thanks!!!!
Any idea what field you might want to go into? If so, go to the GW website and look at the faculty in that dept. Email the MD/PhDs and talk to them about getting involved with research and/or shadowing once you start school. If not, then look in pathology or one of the IM subspecialties. That's where most of the MD/PhDs wind up.
 
I received my PhD in Developmental Cardiology (basic science research) this May. However, I would like to conduct clinical research in the field of cardiology. So far, I haven't been able to find any physician-scientists at GW that are conducting clinical research in this area. (I'm sure that there are a few out there but I haven't been very successful at finding them.) GW has a track program for students wanting to pursue careers in clincial research but I just wanted to "pick you guy's brains" about potential mentors that would be willing to give me some advice about academic medicine. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont know anyone at at GW but there is a MD/PhD at Penn, Charles Bridges, that is one of the top cardiothoracic surgeons in PA. He does some clincial work i think. That may be a place to start looking; maybe he knows people at GW. (he is a black male by the way)
 
I received my PhD in Developmental Cardiology (basic science research) this May. However, I would like to conduct clinical research in the field of cardiology. So far, I haven't been able to find any physician-scientists at GW that are conducting clinical research in this area. (I'm sure that there are a few out there but I haven't been very successful at finding them.) GW has a track program for students wanting to pursue careers in clincial research but I just wanted to "pick you guy's brains" about potential mentors that would be willing to give me some advice about academic medicine. 🙂

Look up William Weglicki, M.D. who is chair of Physiology/Experimental Medicine at GW. He is a cardiologist and extremely well-connected, extremly nice and knowledgable; also Benjamin Dickins, Ph.D who is part of Weglicki's research group. If you can find them, also look up Thomas Masterson, M.D. and Jonathan Reiner, M.D. Both are are well-connected and quite personable and are involved in academic cardiology. (Both were part of Weglicki's group too.)