LOR advice for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theproffer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all;

I know it's a little early, but I'm starting to get my LOR for my application this cycle, and had a question regarding whether I should include another letter. Currently, I have 3 PIs I worked for, 2 class professors, and 1 from a clinical volunteer experience (so 6 total). My question is whether I should add another strong letter? The past few months I worked very closely with a Post Doctoral fellow on a publication we have going out shortly. I say this not to be arrogant, but I'm sure the Post Doc would write me a strong letter based on our interactions. My fear however, is that adding too many letters (especially in regards to research) will "water down" the other letters. I know some schools limit the amount of letters you can send, but I have also heard that at other schools don't even read the letters after a certain number. I'm curious on what others thoughts are on this. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
You can upload up to 10 letters to AMCAS and choose which letters get sent to which schools. You could mix it up and send different combinations to different places. I will say though that 7 is too many even to schools that don't have a limit. Another concern is that because it's from a post-doc and not a seasoned faculty member, that letter might not hold as much weight as your other letters even if it raves about how great you are.
 
Post-doc letters don't carry much weight. Either turn it into a professor letter or don't bother.

f you've really worked in four labs, you could consider sending this fourth professor letter along with the professors from the first three labs. If you already have a letter from the professor in that lab, a post-doc letter from the same lab is worthless.