LOR and Chances

Started by deciding
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

deciding

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it necessary to have a LOR from a pathologist? I am doing a non-Path elective right now and then boards so I'm not sure I'll time to get a LOR any time soon.

Also, would I be competitive at UCSD, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, Washington or other Cali schools with a mid-220's step I, multiple non-path research projects in medical school and a couple pubs and presentations and top 35% of class.
 
Is it necessary to have a LOR from a pathologist? I am doing a non-Path elective right now and then boards so I'm not sure I'll time to get a LOR any time soon.

Also, would I be competitive at UCSD, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, Washington or other Cali schools with a mid-220's step I, multiple non-path research projects in medical school and a couple pubs and presentations and top 35% of class.

probably not that competitive esp. for Stanford and UCSF. all others are definitely a good possibility; more so for colorado and ucsd.

as for the LOR, some programs may specifically ask for a path letter. but regardless, don't you think you wanna make your app. as competitive as possible? i would highly suggest getting one esp. if you're thinking about the two cali schools i mentioned.

good luck.
 
I would say you would probably get interviews at the majority of the places you apply, mostly based on your academic record and not on step I. I would not apply without at least one LOR from a pathologist. Even if it is someone who taught you in med school and not necessarily seen you on a rotation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seconded. It would be difficult to prove a genuine interest in pathology and a basic knowledge of what day-to-day pathology is like without having hung out in the path department enough that a pathologist would write you a letter.
 
I recommend having a conversation with the chair of the pathology department at your school. When I met with the chair, I left with a letter from someone that many of my interviewers knew personally and sound advice about where to apply and avoid.
 
I recommend having a conversation with the chair of the pathology department at your school. When I met with the chair, I left with a letter from someone that many of my interviewers knew personally and sound advice about where to apply and avoid.

That's a good point. You don't necessarily have to have extensive experience with someone to have them give you a LOR. They can give you one based on your CV and meeting and talking with you for a time. Obviously you shouldn't do this for all your letters...