LOR for reapplicant

Started by mvenus929
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mvenus929

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A little background: I graduated from college in May 2008, with rejections from medical schools in hand. I took this past year off, because I didn't feel as if I had done enough during my senior year to really give me a leg up if I applied again. I did a phlebotomy program, and have been working in a hospital since January doing that, as I know clinical experience was the worst part of my application. My grades and MCAT score are definitely not my weaknesses.

I know that medical schools often require LOR from non-science faculty members, especially if there is no committee. I still have my old letter from one of my history professors, and I'm pretty certain it was a strong letter. Now, though, I'm not sure this professor would be able to say much, since I haven't really spoken to him in the past year; every time I've gone to his office when I've visited campus, he hasn't been in. I do have science professors who will write me strong letters. I can also probably get some supporting letters from my phlebotomy instructor, my supervisor at work, and a physician I worked for for over a year.

So, should I try to get a committee letter put together with a few science faculty who I know will give me strong letters to meet that requirement and just neglect the non-science professor? Or should I try to get in touch with my history professor and get separate letters again?