LoR from boss

Started by Lokhtar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a non trad, and I know I have an absolutely exceptional LoR from my boss for whom I have worked for four years (I'm a nontrad so I have work experience, including designing some systems for hospital infection rates, etc). Should I use it for medical school, or do they want academic only?
 
Most schools allow room for extra letters besides the typical 2 science faculty and 1 non-science faculty. Some even require a non-faculty letter or two. Even if they limit you to a certain amount and only ask for professors, I'd go ahead and send that one anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would absolutely use these letters. Obviously you need the academic letters, but a stellar letter from someone who really knows you will go far. I had two of these, including one from a guy who must have gone way overboard, because his letter was the only thing many of my interviewers talked about.
 
I used one as well. All of the advice I got indicated that non-trads need one because you need to "document" your current performance in all major activites...which would include work. For me it was a bit tricky because I can't tell my boss that I'm applying, so I had to use one from a senior coworker.
 
Yep definitely use it. I was even able to get some schools to accept employer letters in lieu of the non-science faculty letter.
 
Some schools actually require such letters from recent bosses/supervisors, or highly suggest it. Especially if it is exceptional, use it.

I ended up using my AmeriCorps volunteer supervisor letter for almost every secondary I sent in.
 
I used one as well. All of the advice I got indicated that non-trads need one because you need to "document" your current performance in all major activites...which would include work. For me it was a bit tricky because I can't tell my boss that I'm applying, so I had to use one from a senior coworker.


Yeah the OP should definitely get a recent recommendation letter from his employer if he's been out of school for more than a year. Depending on what company you work at and what type of profession you're involved with, you might want to be a bit discreet when asking for an LoR so that you don't get fired / laid-off/ or passed over for promotion when you tell your boss that you want to bail. You might not be able to get one from your direct supervisor or boss because he/she doesn't want you to leave the company or isn't qualified to judge how well you'll work as a physician (especially if your job has nothing to do with healthcare), but you should definitely approach a friend or co-worker who you're on good terms and bring up the subject over some drinks after work.
 
Last edited:
My boss knows my future plans and is extremely supportive and has been for a couple years (since I decided), and even offered to write one. And I know its going to be an exceptional letter, and my job is only tangentially related to healthcare (application programmer for hospital). My question was if it would be a good idea, and it sounds like it's unanimous that I should use it.