LOR on Consult Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swimmingxxx657

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I’m a M4 applying into internal medicine residency this year. My school told us that programs typically require at least 3 letters. I have one letter coming from my third year medicine rotation and one from my fourth year medicine SubI rotation. Now I’m on a consult service that I’m hoping to get my third letter of rec from. I only finished my first week so far but it isn’t as involved as I was hoping it would be, so I’m a little worried about the quality of letter I would potentially get. I’m going to keep trying to get actively involved, but I just wanted to hear folks’ thoughts on this. I’m not really sure what letters of rec entail so I’m wondering if there are any tips on what I can do to seek out a stronger letter of rec on a consult service. This is not meant to be a gunner post aiming for a stellar letter to get into a super competitive program… I’m just worried about getting a weak, lackluster letter that could harm my application overall. Unfortunately my next and last rotation before apps are due is an enrichment elective that I can’t get a letter of rec from so I’m relying on this one. Ultimately I know I’ll just have to make the best of whatever I can get, but any thoughts/advice on what I can potentially do from my end would be really helpful!

Additionally, I work with a different attending every week on this service. Would it be okay to ask an attending for a letter of rec after only working a week with them, or is it better to ask the clerkship director and have them compile all the evaluations into a letter?

Thanks so much for any advice or thoughts - I really appreciate it.
 
Get one from your M3 core rotations where the attending actually knew you well. Can be from surgery, Peds, OB/gyn, whatever.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Get one from your M3 core rotations where the attending actually knew you well. Can be from surgery, Peds, OB/gyn, whatever.

Thanks for replying. Do you think it'd be okay to have one fourth year SubI letter and then two letters from third year?
 
Last edited: