LOR question

Started by tRad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tRad

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys I have a quick question and I am really sorry if its been asked already. My uncle is a dentist but we do not have the same last name. He already wrote me a LOR and it would save me a ton of time if I used it. Do you think it would be ok to use?
 
Hey guys I have a quick question and I am really sorry if its been asked already. My uncle is a dentist but we do not have the same last name. He already wrote me a LOR and it would save me a ton of time if I used it. Do you think it would be ok to use?

It's fine for the schools who accept non-family dentist LORs.
 
I think if you have to ask this question, you should avoid using it. The reason being: what if the letter were to somehow come up that it is your uncle and you were mistakenly seen as being dishonest, or nervously told a white lie out desperation to cover the fact that he was your uncle? Would it be worth risking dental school? Although it is unlikely and maybe not a concern, I think not disclosing information intentionally could be viewed as simple dishonesty. I would call anonymously and ask if it's ok to have your non-blood uncle write you a letter because you've had the most experience with him.