Louisiana State University (LSU)-New Orleans Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMMD2BE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first post. I'm starting to finalize my list of places to apply and I was curious what the scuttlebutt is about the charity system. I know before hurricane Katrina this program was pretty good. How is it now? I do know it's a four year, but I'm applying to both 3 and 4- I'm young, what the heck? I like its system of how you start managing the ED in your second year, not just taking care of patients. Any other programs like that? Anyone know how difficult it is to get an interview? Anyone here at New Orleans? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I interviewed there last year and thought it was an excellent program. When I interviewed they showed us the brand new ED they were building which looked like it was going to be state of the art, equipped with ramp to drop of the knife/gun club patients :laugh:. The program maintained most of it's core faculty and was one of the only residency programs to come out thriving. The faculty and residents that I met were boosting with energy and when they talked about the program they all got really excited. The only down side in my opinion was the 4 year deal.

Met the program director at SAEM and have talked to a few students from LSU, sounds like an awesome county program that will leave you superbly trained in trauma. Direct quote from program director "It's a hell hole and I love it!" Also PD trained in Pittsburgh and said that going to charity was like doing a trauma fellowship for her so take that as you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a quote from one of my neighbors: "Charity's the best, man! You get yo'self shot or stabbed, make sure you get yo' friends to bring you there. They'll treat you even if you got no insurance. The students and residents there do a great job. They'll fix you up good as new, and they don't even charge you nothin'."

So, the hospital gets high praise from the locals, or at least the locals in the part of town where I live, which obviously isn't a country club. I'm still a med student and can't comment on the residency except that you will see all the trauma you want, but if you have any questions on New Orleans life I'd be glad to help.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

I know that before the hurricane it was one of the top programs in regard to pathology and the amount of trauma seen. Can you comment on how it is now. I also know that the old Charity hospital used to be one of the largest in the nation but I know nothing of the interim hospital or the new hospital being built any comments on that? If you don't mind can you give some general program info like # of shifts per month, length of shifts, exposure to pediatrics, ect. Do you feel like the program is well rounded as far as what you are exposed to or is it trauma heavy and possibly lacking in other areas. In general is the program open to allow DO students rotate? Will they give DO students consideration come match time?

I realize that is a lot of questions but I have family in the area and would love to get back home. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Still has the same pathology, just in a little smaller space. Its similar to practicing medicine in a 3rd world country with the strange things you see. The amount of penetrating trauma is absurd, you won't miss out. The new hospital being built won't change the patients, but it will be a nicer facility. I think they are still at about 20 shifts per month, 16 8's and 4 12's. Pediatrics is probably the weak point of the program, which is par for the course most places unless you have a pediatric ED built in. It's definitely a very well rounded program, you get tons of trauma, but don't really miss out on much for it. Its probably lacking in suburban medicine(I.E. patient satisfaction and new expensive drugs that patients can't afford. I am DO and I rotated there before I matched and ended up there. If you rotate there and they like you it will really help come match time.

Source: Just graduated the program.

I know that before the hurricane it was one of the top programs in regard to pathology and the amount of trauma seen. Can you comment on how it is now. I also know that the old Charity hospital used to be one of the largest in the nation but I know nothing of the interim hospital or the new hospital being built any comments on that? If you don't mind can you give some general program info like # of shifts per month, length of shifts, exposure to pediatrics, ect. Do you feel like the program is well rounded as far as what you are exposed to or is it trauma heavy and possibly lacking in other areas. In general is the program open to allow DO students rotate? Will they give DO students consideration come match time?

I realize that is a lot of questions but I have family in the area and would love to get back home. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a whole lot to add to the above. Lots of trauma/county program. Rotate at a number go outside facilities suburban/community exposure at Slidell, rural at Lallie Kemp, tertiary/upper class/press ganey at Ochsner. Downside is having to learn so many different computer systems/idiosyncrasies.

New hospital should be larger/shinier but with largely the same patients.

Currently a big push to improve various metrics/make our system more streamlined and efficient.

Currently interns do about 18 12 hour shifts. 2-4 years do about 20 shifts (16 9s and 4 12s). The 9s are really 8 with clean up the 12s often are more like 13s.

Thanks to Smacky and daktota for the responses. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I appreciate you both taking the time to answer my questions.

Sounds like it is an ER hopefuls dream. Hopefully I'll end up there. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I saw LSU New Orleans has a combined peds/EM residency. Any truth in this?