-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkkaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Short answer (IMO): probably a no-go with a 511 (Unless you are URM). A 511 is simply below the 10th percentile for most T20 schools—making it not worth applying.

Long answer: You could always give it a shot, but be prepared for disappointment (and probably a reapplication cycle). These chances may change if you happen to be a URM or perhaps a resident of Washington—where UW is a T20 with a low avg MCAT. Your ECs and GPA are great, but they want to see that you will perform well on big exams too (ie Step 2, internal exams, etc). You could always retake the MCAT, but be very careful because marginal improvement (2-3 points) is not seen as a good thing. However, if I may, all T50-60 schools have great names in medicine and more than enough research funding for you to be successful and match competitively. Despite your MCAT score, you could probably still score an acceptance to somewhere like Wake Forest, UIC, GW, Iowa, Georgetown, Miami, etc. On top of that, if you were to simply apply to your own state schools, most of them do great research like Maryland, Utah, Colorado, Iowa, UAB, etc and have stellar names in medicine. In the grand scheme of things, beggars can’t be choosers, and with a 511, you have to consider that people with even better ECs and far better MCAT scores will probably get the T20 spots.

Your options are:
-Retake MCAT
-Apply anyways and risk a reapplication
-Lower your standards and throw 15-20 T70-80 schools on your list with your T20 reaches.

Reactions: 2 users
Short answer (IMO): probably a no-go with a 511 (Unless you are URM). A 511 is simply below the 10th percentile for most T20 schools—making it not worth applying.

Long answer: You could always give it a shot, but be prepared for disappointment (and probably a reapplication cycle). These chances may change if you happen to be a URM or perhaps a resident of Washington—where UW is a T20 with a low avg MCAT. Your ECs and GPA are great, but they want to see that you will perform well on big exams too (ie Step 2, internal exams, etc). You could always retake the MCAT, but be very careful because marginal improvement (2-3 points) is not seen as a good thing. However, if I may, all T50-60 schools have great names in medicine and more than enough research funding for you to be successful and match competitively. Despite your MCAT score, you could probably still score an acceptance to somewhere like Wake Forest, UIC, GW, Iowa, Georgetown, Miami, etc. On top of that, if you were to simply apply to your own state schools, most of them do great research like Maryland, Utah, Colorado, Iowa, UAB, etc and have stellar names in medicine. In the grand scheme of things, beggars can’t be choosers, and with a 511, you have to consider that people with even better ECs and far better MCAT scores will probably get the T20 spots.

Your options are:
-Retake MCAT
-Apply anyways and risk a reapplication
-Lower your standards and throw 15-20 T70-80 schools on your list with your T20 reaches.
I think this is solid advice. I'm a 3.9/513, ORM, from CA as well. It's good to have some reaches but we have to be realistic. If you really want T20, a retake and additional year are likely necessary. That's certainly an option. IMO, you only want to go through this application process once.

Members don't see this ad :)
CA is so competitive. So many qualified applicants and relatively few seats. 511 is at UCI's 10% threshold. If you are URM, I'd say sure, apply. My sense is the 10% MCAT spots are going to predominantly go to URM. Are you from NoCal ?

No I’m from SoCal and ORM...does UCD predominately take from NoCal applicants?
Others could maybe say more definitively but I believe UCD takes from all over the state yet leans towards those that live in No Cal or Central Cal, went to school in No Cal or Central Cal, or have strong ties to these areas.

So I just received my MCAT score and it was a 511 (127,127,128,129). I was honestly shocked because I had been scoring 518-522 on the practice FLs and felt very confident on test day. C/P and CARS were always my best sections but they dropped significantly in the real exam. I'm not really sure how that could have happened, but I don't know if I should retake it. My gpa is 4.00 both sgpa and cgpa. I am wondering if I would still be competitive for T20 schools even with this low MCAT score (applying next cycle)?

I go to a T20 undergrad and I have 250 hrs of research in a humanities subject (my major) with 2 pubs on the way (one may be also published as a book). I also have 200hrs and counting on research in a biochem lab (no pubs). I have around 600 scribing hours (will probably be around 800 by the time I apply) and around 200 hospital volunteering hours. I also have 400 tutoring and nonclinical volunteering hours. Around 100 shadowing hours (anesthesia, IM, peds gastro, ob/gyn).

In terms of leadership, I'm on an editorial board and a board for my school. I've also been trying to start a club where we can teach music to kids in the hospital to help relieve stress/pain.

I actually compose music and have released albums on itunes and spotify (my x factor I guess?). Might be talking about integrating music with medicine.
I just wanted to give a more complete understanding of everything else I have besides MCAT/gpa because I truly do not think the score I received reflected my abilities. And the reason I want to go to a "T20 school" is for the research and residency opportunities as I do want to go into a competitive specialty. Since Step would be p/f by the time I entered, I would need all the help I can get in order to achieve that
With MCAT score, Harvard/Stanford class schools are a no go.

Just do well on Step 2. You can do research at your state school or Albany/Drexel Wake/Tufts class schools too.

Your job now is to get into A medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
If those were official AAMC MCATs taken under conditions approximating Test Day, I would recommend a retake. You might have had test anxiety get the better of you; you might even consider seeing a therapist for that if you indeed have that problem. But going from 518-522 on AAMC FLs to a 511 on the real deal means you have a lot of potential.

If you don't get a 516 or better, schools might question your judgment a bit...but if you think you can do as well on the real thing as you did on those practice tests, absolutely go for another round.

Yup took them in actual conditions. The only thing that was different was that the actual exam was the COVID one, so less questions overall. I left the exam room thinking I did very well and and finished every section with a good amount of time to look over everything. I fear that the COVID tests have caused a lot of discrepancies between the FLs and actual scores as I have seen a bunch people drop 7-10 points with it. If I were to do a retake, do you think I should wait until they go back to the normal length?
I took FL4 and got a 516 10 days before the actual exam. I got a 516 on the actual thing.

Gonna be honest.
Your scores are well enough to get into almost any MD school. If you are dead set on T20....maybe retake the exam. If not then apply and you will get in somewhere (with 4.0...you will have options). Many people are set on Harvard, Wash, Hopkins etc. There’s a fascination with getting into a “prime” med school...until you are actually in med school and no one cares. Many people at non T20 med schools get residencies at these schools regardless. Where you go to med school does not define your career. If you want an IM residency at Harvard, you can still get there without T20. If I were you 4 years ago I would retake. Now as an M3, I can tell you honestly I would apply now, just make sure you have a solid school range.

Status
Not open for further replies.