Loyola MSMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallidays20

Reaction score
I am a graduate of Loyola's MSMP and have been messaged a lot of questions about it, and so I thought I'd leave all my thoughts here about the program.

While it is a tough program (as it should be as this is the reason you are doing an SMP) the classes are very doable and the tests are fair. Some of them are definitely challenging, but overall everyone in my class did well. Tests are all MC on a computer in board-style (and same exams given to the M1s, but we are taught separately so are not graded against them or anything). We do a slightly different version of their spring semester in the fall and vice versa. If you look at the published stats by the program, the average GPA is usually between a 3.8-3.9 and this is because while the material is challenging and you will be studying a ton, if they let you into the program they know you can do well. The fall is the easier semester because you have only 3 real classes and then bioethics and professional development class (mock interviews, PS workshops, etc). The spring semester is harder because you have 4 classes, so you'll be a lot busier and be studying quite a bit more.

From what my classmates and I found, the program is very collaborative not competitive at all. You get the grade you earn and there is no curving. There are mandatory small group sessions with pre-assigned groups that are great for team-based learning.

The advising is another great thing about the program. Each advisor has a group of around 4 and you meet once a month-ish as a group and then as much as you want individually. Then the program director is most helpful for application type stuff and you can meet with them and email them with questions. They are especially helpful with the actual medical school application and really know their stuff about medical school admissions.

The program advises everyone to take a gap year the year after the program so you have the full year of grades when you apply. I STRONGLY recommend this as it makes your life a lot easier and increases your chances of getting into med school (you don't want to be a reapplicant). I know no one wants to wait another year to apply to medical school, but if you follow any advice about SMPs it should be this one. If you go to this program, wait to apply, and have them walk you through the application process during the year.

During orientation, they gave us a list of volunteering opportunities in the community. You have to seek those out yourself, but there are both clinical and nonclinical volunteering options if you want to do it.

Most people live in Oak Park or Forest Park. Forest Park is a little more affordable than Oak Park. I highly recommend bringing a car with you unless your roommate has one or if you want to take the bus. Most people in my cohort had a car.

Feel free to ask any more questions but these are the ones that I was messaged most frequently.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey there, thank you for this very informative post!

I had 2 questions: before committing to MSMP, were you accepted to any other reputable SMPs such as GTown/BU MAMS/etc. and if so, were there any other factors that made you pick MSMP? (Factors meaning besides the pros that you listed above, were there any caveats to GTown's/Boston's/other's that deterred you away from choosing them?)

When I spoked to the program director, she recommended taking the MCAT after the program finishes as she affirmed that the program prepares us well for the MCAT, but while I agree that we should take the extra gap year afterwards to apply, wouldn't it be easier to take the MCAT before the program and get it out of the way than having it loom over your head throughout the program and potentially have to either 1.) study for it during the program to take it and get scores in early or 2.) take it later and submit a later app?

Hey there, thank you for this very informative post!

I had 2 questions: before committing to MSMP, were you accepted to any other reputable SMPs such as GTown/BU MAMS/etc. and if so, were there any other factors that made you pick MSMP? (Factors meaning besides the pros that you listed above, were there any caveats to GTown's/Boston's/other's that deterred you away from choosing them?)

When I spoked to the program director, she recommended taking the MCAT after the program finishes as she affirmed that the program prepares us well for the MCAT, but while I agree that we should take the extra gap year afterwards to apply, wouldn't it be easier to take the MCAT before the program and get it out of the way than having it loom over your head throughout the program and potentially have to either 1.) study for it during the program to take it and get scores in early or 2.) take it later and submit a later app?
did not apply to Georgetown or BU MAMS because I knew it was not an environment I was comfortable being in. I applied to Loyola MAMS and Tufts MBS and ultimately chose Loyola MSMP because of the small size of the program and acceptance rate into medical school. Also Chicago is more affordable than Boston.

If you feel ready to take the MCAT before MSMP starts then go for it, but taking it once it's done is just preferred because MSMP helps so much with the biology section and you perfect your study habits after completing such rigorous coursework. Studying for the MCAT is so much easier after you've done essentially the first year of med school. People from my program who scored 506-509 on first MCAT pre-MSMP ended up scoring like 515+ the second time. No one really started studying until around spring break IIRC and took it early June and were fine. Didn't seem to affect their application with the timeline.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much, definitely very helpful. Now I am a little confused because I don't know whether to go for the MAMS or the MSMP program. So much confusion

I'm in the same boat as @Batman's Dr. trying to decide between MAMS and MSMP. Can you speak to the rigor of the program a bit more? I know this varies a lot based on person/course but how many hours would you estimate you spent studying/prepping outside of class?

I did my undergrad at Northwestern and found (some of) the science courses to be pretty challenging so just trying to gain a rough estimate of how this program might compare.

I'm in the same boat as @Batman's Dr. trying to decide between MAMS and MSMP. Can you speak to the rigor of the program a bit more? I know this varies a lot based on person/course but how many hours would you estimate you spent studying/prepping outside of class?

I did my undergrad at Northwestern and found (some of) the science courses to be pretty challenging so just trying to gain a rough estimate of how this program might compare.

Yeah so the program was definitely rigorous as is any SMP. I applied to both MAMS and MSMP. I chose MSMP because I thought for me it would be a better program as the classes are like the first year of medical school vs MAMS which is more like biology (and taught out of the biology department vs the medical school for MSMP). In a normal week I say I would study maybe a half-hour before class, the entire hour and a half during the lunch break, and then after class from maybe 5-10 pm. Weekends I would study typically 10am-6pm but sometimes more especially second semester. First semester you'll have more free time as you are only taking 3 classes so I'd say that every round of exams (there are 4 rounds of 3 exams each round) people had opportunities to go out at least twice. Some people went out way more, it really just depends on you and how you study. Second semester is definitely more of a time suck with an exam almost every week because you are in 4 classes so your free time is cut down significantly. This is especially true as you start to get your application together for med school.

Lots of people in MSMP over the years went to Northwestern undergrad. It's a lot of work and challenging (more so than undergrad) but you'll be more focused and will be able to do well. It's a grind but you know that going into a program like this. That being said, it is not unreasonably hard, everyone does well, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. Based on what I heard from my M1 friends physio tends to be a lot of memorization but won't be as hard conceptually as some of the science classes I struggled with (looking at you Orgo).

What are your opinions on the faculty in the program? I assume there's a lot of access given how small the program is but are they mostly easy to work with and invested in your success? I know MSMP doesn't really do committee letters, but were professors generally receptive to writing letters and whatnot?

Do you know if anyone works in any research labs on the health sciences campus?

Yeah so the program was definitely rigorous as is any SMP. I applied to both MAMS and MSMP. I chose MSMP because I thought for me it would be a better program as the classes are like the first year of medical school vs MAMS which is more like biology (and taught out of the biology department vs the medical school for MSMP).

^ Yeah that reason is the main reason why I'm leaning towards MSMP as well, despite MAMS' longer track record and larger reputation (from what I could tell at least, I may be wrong).

They both have that guaranteed interview feature as well, so MSMP just seemed to be the better choice.

Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. Based on what I heard from my M1 friends physio tends to be a lot of memorization but won't be as hard conceptually as some of the science classes I struggled with (looking at you Orgo).

What are your opinions on the faculty in the program? I assume there's a lot of access given how small the program is but are they mostly easy to work with and invested in your success? I know MSMP doesn't really do committee letters, but were professors generally receptive to writing letters and whatnot?
Yes there is definitely a lot of memorization but some of the material in physiology can be quite tricky conceptually.

The faculty are wonderful. They are the exact same faculty that teach the M1s and M2s. They spend a lot of time with the MSMP program and you can go into their offices to ask questions whenever their door is open (which is almost all of the time). Very engaged and they knew us all by name. Professors were very receptive to writing LORs and definitely expect you to ask them at the end of the year. They're all wonderful and approachable. The cellular and molecular physiology department is very tight-knit.

Do you know if anyone works in any research labs on the health sciences campus?
You wouldn't have time to work in a lab during the program, but people worked in professor's labs the summer after and even the year after MSMP when they were applying to med school. Not difficult to talk with professors and get into the lab after the year is done.

Reactions: 1 users
Could anyone who took the program elaborate on the first semester classes? I know the class list is online, but if you could elaborate on their subject matter just a bit more I would appreciate it!

Could anyone who took the program elaborate on the first semester classes? I know the class list is online, but if you could elaborate on their subject matter just a bit more I would appreciate it!
Biochemistry is pretty straightforward biochemistry but with more physiology applications than you probably had in undergrad
Cell Physiology is cell biology and a lot of memorization but not particularly difficult! You probably took classes like it in undergrad.
FHB is a physiology class, so first semester you do some neuro, muscle, cardio, circulation, and then pulmonology. Definitely the hardest class of the first semester (and for some people the hardest class all year). It's the same class as the M1s take but they take it in the spring only and MSMP does it in the fall and spring.
Professional Development is just like med schools visiting to talk about their schools, learning how to write a PS, etc.
Bioethics is just clinical bioethics and is a nice break from all the science.

Hi @hallidays20, thanks for posting!

I have a question regarding the linkage process. I was accepted to both Loyola MAMS and MSMP, but I'm leaning towards MSMP because of the smaller class size and curriculum similar to M1/M2. While I am confident in my MCAT score, extracurriculars, personal statement, and LORs, my major weakness is definitely my GPA which is why I am completing a Master's program. If I succeed in this program, I would feel ready to matriculate to medical school right after the program and would particularly love to go to Stritch because I believe in their mission to serving the community. The MSMP FAQs page states that "GIs at Stritch are only possible after graduation from the MSMP program. However, if you are granted an interview independent from the program, you will be able to send an update on your performance in the MSMP program." I was wondering if there are any special cases where the GI is granted during the year of the program or if there exists some other type of linkage if I decided to apply this cycle while still currently in the program. I know it's not the end of the world to have to wait another year, but since I am highly interested in Stritch as a medical school, I would appreciate the opportunity to interview and possibly matriculate right after the program.

Hi @hallidays20, thanks for posting!

I have a question regarding the linkage process. I was accepted to both Loyola MAMS and MSMP, but I'm leaning towards MSMP because of the smaller class size and curriculum similar to M1/M2. While I am confident in my MCAT score, extracurriculars, personal statement, and LORs, my major weakness is definitely my GPA which is why I am completing a Master's program. If I succeed in this program, I would feel ready to matriculate to medical school right after the program and would particularly love to go to Stritch because I believe in their mission to serving the community. The MSMP FAQs page states that "GIs at Stritch are only possible after graduation from the MSMP program. However, if you are granted an interview independent from the program, you will be able to send an update on your performance in the MSMP program." I was wondering if there are any special cases where the GI is granted during the year of the program or if there exists some other type of linkage if I decided to apply this cycle while still currently in the program. I know it's not the end of the world to have to wait another year, but since I am highly interested in Stritch as a medical school, I would appreciate the opportunity to interview and possibly matriculate right after the program.
The GI is not given during the year, but some people do get interviews on their own during the program. They explained it to us as if you apply during MSMP, you're just an at-large candidate with no linkages and are reviewed as anyone else applying would be. So you can send updates after different rounds of exams or at the end of the semester with your grades, but no you would not get any guarantee that you would get an interview to Stritch.