M1 Christmas Break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thewhitecoat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

So with xmas closing in, I've got about 3 weeks off and I was wondering how could I use at least part of that time to prep for the Step 1. By then, I'll have finished anatomy, biochem, genetics, and basic physiology/histology, so while I realize that there's much that I still don't know, I feel that I could still do some studying with just that basic material. Could someone please offer some advice or study strategies? Would it be wise to begin memorizing the details of the diseases in FA that my school has already touched upon?


Thanks everyone!

ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

So with xmas closing in, I've got about 3 weeks off and I was wondering how could I use at least part of that time to prep for the Step 1. By then, I'll have finished anatomy, biochem, genetics, and basic physiology/histology, so while I realize that there's much that I still don't know, I feel that I could still do some studying with just that basic material. Could someone please offer some advice or study strategies? Would it be wise to begin memorizing the details of the diseases in FA that my school has already touched upon?


Thanks everyone!

ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.

Too bad, you're gonna get the same responses you don't want... because that is what you deserve to hear.

Take you're three weeks off to enjoy life, be a part of people's lives, get drunk, get laid. Do anything besides study anything.
 
There's more to life than your studies. Spend time with family and friends. You don't want to end up burned out and lonely one day.
 
I guess if you must study, then you can start by memorizing every muscle in the body and the nerves/arteries that supply them or start memorizing the krebs cycle/glycolysis/urea cycle
 
Hey everyone,

So with xmas closing in, I've got about 3 weeks off and I was wondering how could I use at least part of that time to prep for the Step 1. By then, I'll have finished anatomy, biochem, genetics, and basic physiology/histology, so while I realize that there's much that I still don't know, I feel that I could still do some studying with just that basic material. Could someone please offer some advice or study strategies? Would it be wise to begin memorizing the details of the diseases in FA that my school has already touched upon?


Thanks everyone!

ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.

Hate to break it to you, BUT the stuff you learn 1st semester is barely even on step 1. Honestly, first semester (hell even first year) just gives you a base to learn diseases and treatment 2nd year.

IF you study anything, look over physiology, its the only remotely useful thing you have learned.
 
Since you have 3 weeks off, read Big Robbins. Not Medium or Baby Robbins because those won't be enough. Also, do UWorld Qbank. If you aren't scoring >70% on UWorld after first semester of med school, you're seriously behind. The other 30% are just basic Pathology that you get from Robbins, no biggie really.

Also, if you have classmate friends nearby home (assuming you're heading home for the break), ask them to study with you because your classmates who are behind in Step 1 studying could use some help and motivation. Or, if you're a real gunner, you can ignore your classmates and not invite them to your study sessions.
 
Hey everyone,

So with xmas closing in, I've got about 3 weeks off and I was wondering how could I use at least part of that time to prep for the Step 1. By then, I'll have finished anatomy, biochem, genetics, and basic physiology/histology, so while I realize that there's much that I still don't know, I feel that I could still do some studying with just that basic material. Could someone please offer some advice or study strategies? Would it be wise to begin memorizing the details of the diseases in FA that my school has already touched upon?


Thanks everyone!

ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.

If you have any shelf exams during the 1st year then you can prepare for that. If not then just review physio and make sure you know it cold. It's really the only subject of those you listed that has a lot of carryover into M2.

Do realize that any studying you do this early will not affect your Step score, I would only do it if you really struggled in an area that will continue to be touched on
 
If you have any shelf exams during the 1st year then you can prepare for that. If not then just review physio and make sure you know it cold. It's really the only subject of those you listed that has a lot of carryover into M2.

Do realize that any studying you do this early will not affect your Step score, I would only do it if you really struggled in an area that will continue to be touched on

The best thing you can do that is future minded with your free time as a first year is get to know important faculty and do research in your chosen field. Even if you put in 14 hour days for the entire 3 weeks of Christmas break studying anatomy, biochem, and histo I would not expect ANY difference in your Step 1 performance.
 
Since you have 3 weeks off, read Big Robbins. Not Medium or Baby Robbins because those won't be enough. Also, do UWorld Qbank. If you aren't scoring >70% on UWorld after first semester of med school, you're seriously behind. The other 30% are just basic Pathology that you get from Robbins, no biggie really.

Also, if you have classmate friends nearby home (assuming you're heading home for the break), ask them to study with you because your classmates who are behind in Step 1 studying could use some help and motivation. Or, if you're a real gunner, you can ignore your classmates and not invite them to your study sessions.

Don't forget Gunner Training. S/he can probably squeeze that in on Christmas Eve.
 
Hey everyone,

So with xmas closing in, I've got about 3 weeks off and I was wondering how could I use at least part of that time to prep for the Step 1. By then, I'll have finished anatomy, biochem, genetics, and basic physiology/histology, so while I realize that there's much that I still don't know, I feel that I could still do some studying with just that basic material. Could someone please offer some advice or study strategies? Would it be wise to begin memorizing the details of the diseases in FA that my school has already touched upon?


Thanks everyone!

ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.


Relax, it's too early.


Troll.
 
I suppose a follow up question for this: when is an appropriate time to start reviewing FA? I'm certainly not planning on doing anything during christmas break, but do most people start doing tiny bits of review over the summer? Christmas break of M2? Or do you just leave everything for the ~6 weeks of dedicated study time right before Step 1?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suppose a follow up question for this: when is an appropriate time to start reviewing FA? I'm certainly not planning on doing anything during christmas break, but do most people start doing tiny bits of review over the summer? Christmas break of M2? Or do you just leave everything for the ~6 weeks of dedicated study time right before Step 1?

You will hear a lot of different answers to this question. I expect the most responsible thing to do is start revising it around January of your second year. Personally, I waited until my dedicated time at the end and did great on Step 1. I'm glad I waited.
 
What about annotating 1st year topics in FA for 1 of the 3 weeks? Useful?

Probably too early

You will hear a lot of different answers to this question. I expect the most responsible thing to do is start revising it around January of your second year. Personally, I waited until my dedicated time at the end and did great on Step 1. I'm glad I waited.

I started annotating in January when I got the new FA and started UW. I wasn't big on annotating FA, the only thing I added was stuff from UW. I didn't annotate any info from other books. Everyone learns differently though
 
I sold my xbox before medical school because I knew MW3(modern bro fare, if
you will...) was coming out... If I would have kept it I would be failing out right now.

I really want an xbox right now.

Yeah, I got rid of my 360 before I started med school. One of my good friends in the class had a PS3 so I was still able to get in my NBA 2K and Fifa fix.

I didn't get a PS3 until halfway through 3rd year after I had already finished Surg and IM. With Step 2 over my PS3 is about to see a lot of action. Need to pick up MW3 soon
 
Yeah, I got rid of my 360 before I started med school. One of my good friends in the class had a PS3 so I was still able to get in my NBA 2K and Fifa fix.

I didn't get a PS3 until halfway through 3rd year after I had already finished Surg and IM. With Step 2 over my PS3 is about to see a lot of action. Need to pick up MW3 soon
And arkham city. And uncharted 3.
 
And arkham city. And uncharted 3.

Haha maybe. I still need to beat GTA IV and GOW 3.

I'm in no rush to buy games at full price and as I got my PS3 late I'm behind. Only reason 8I'm willing to pay for MW3 is bc a few of my good friends have it.
 
ps: I'm not looking for "relax/it's too early" type responses.

Okay. Start gunning on USMLERx and/or UWorld questions. Knock out several hundred of them before you go back in January. Do them selectively on what you've covered.

About 15 months from now, when you really have to start studying for Step 1, laugh at yourself for thinking you should have been studying over Christmas of your first year, and kick yourself in the ass for having wasted that time studying when it would have been much, much better invested in family/friends/hobbies.
 
Okay. Start gunning on USMLERx and/or UWorld questions. Knock out several hundred of them before you go back in January. Do them selectively on what you've covered.

About 15 months from now, when you really have to start studying for Step 1, laugh at yourself for thinking you should have been studying over Christmas of your first year, and kick yourself in the ass for having wasted that time studying when it would have been much, much better invested in family/friends/hobbies.

I used to semi blow off the advice from my wise elders before me when they said NOT to study summer pre-MS1. I listened somewhat (didn't really study if I didn't feel like it which was most of the time) and am glad I did. I enjoyed my summer and I can see now how if I had tried to study a subject like anatomy would not have gotten anything out of it.

I'm like you OP, it's tempting to think Xmas break = more study time because you want to do well on Step 1. I think I'm probably going to chill this Xmas, look into possible summer research positions that I'd really be interested in, rather than thinking about boosting the resume, and perhaps read up on things like behavioral science and pharm, which my school doesn't really teach geared for the USMLE. That's probably what I'd suggest for you to, if only to make yourself feel better.

Spend time with friends and/or family though for sure. I'm definitely going to need some recuperating time after this semester of feeling like a hermit and studying for hours on end and being a little weirded out that I can see the sun rise, and then the sunset but not really go out all day.