Ma/ms?

Started by Azawakh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Azawakh

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope this is an easy question. I am wondering what if any the difference is between an MS and a MA degree? Is one more desirable or prestigious than the other? I've seen scientific subjects conferred MA degrees and liberal arts subjects conferred MS degrees so I am utterly confused.

Thanks.
 
I hope this is an easy question. I am wondering what if any the difference is between an MS and a MA degree? Is one more desirable or prestigious than the other? I've seen scientific subjects conferred MA degrees and liberal arts subjects conferred MS degrees so I am utterly confused.

Thanks.

I am not sure that any liberal arts subjects do confer an MS. In a science discipline an MS is much more desirable when compared to an MA. Generally the MA programs are only graduate classes and do not involve a research thesis, while the MS degrees require the research thesis. There are some exceptions of course but this is generally how it is.

If you are looking to get into a certain type of school (dent, vet, med) you should look for a program that is specifically geared toward getting people in. Some of these programs are SMPs while others are normal graduate school (MS or MA).
 
I am not sure that any liberal arts subjects do confer an MS. In a science discipline an MS is much more desirable when compared to an MA. Generally the MA programs are only graduate classes and do not involve a research thesis, while the MS degrees require the research thesis. There are some exceptions of course but this is generally how it is.

If you are looking to get into a certain type of school (dent, vet, med) you should look for a program that is specifically geared toward getting people in. Some of these programs are SMPs while others are normal graduate school (MS or MA).

Thanks Instaitewaiter. I have been curious because I have a M.A from Boston University School of Medicine in Anatomy/Neurobiology w/ research based thesis. I also have friends who have or are in the process of getting a M.S in Journalism from Columbia University or a M.S in Education from Pace University and I couldn't understand what the distinction in the degrees meant. What you have said makes sense to me and has been my understanding but I have a M.A in a science that requires a thesis as far as I know.