Masters in Athletic Training before or after DPT

Started by Huntrome
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Huntrome

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Goal is to be a ATC/DPT:

I'm currently completing my undergrad in exercise science at Georgia Gwinnett College and I'll be graduating in fall of 2017 so I will miss the application deadline for Georgia State University's DPT program.

So my question is would it be best to wait a year then reapply during the next cycle..get my DPT then get my masters in AT.

Or get my masters in athletic training and then reapply to Georgia State DPT program
 
Last edited:
If you goal is to be an ATC, are there any options for you to transfer to another school and complete a bachelors in AT? That seems like a shorter route to me as you are only a few years in.
 
If you goal is to be an ATC, are there any options for you to transfer to another school and complete a bachelors in AT? That seems like a shorter route to me as you are only a few years in.


I looked at the program at University of North Georgia but it would actually take me an extra year to complete the classes to even get into the athletic training program, so it would take 5 years to get my bachelors instead of 4
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regardless, if you want to be an AT, you're going to have to get an AT degree somehow. So I'm not sure what the question is... working as an Exercise Specialist for a year isn't going to do you any good toward an AT degree..
 
Regardless, if you want to be an AT, you're going to have to get an AT degree somehow. So I'm not sure what the question is... working as an Exercise Specialist for a year isn't going to do you any good toward an AT degree..
you're totally right! & I totally realized i completely worded my question wrong, so I changed it because the whole exercise specialist part was irrelevant to what I was trying to get help with
 
Last edited:
So if it will take you 5 years to get an AT degree versus 4 years for a regular bachelor's, isn't that the best option? 5 year undergrad degree in AT and then be ready to start DPT school right away. That seems like the shortest and most direct path to both your goals. (I'm assuming a Masters is at least a 2 year program)