Math portion suggestion

Started by bryantvo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bryantvo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have already finished "College Algebra" and "Calculus I Business,Life Sciences, and Social" aka -Business Calculus- in college.

My question(s) is that is that taking Business Calculus sufficient enough for the PCAT Math "Calculus" portion? Its not a true Calculus I course but more like an application based math course.

Also, even though its not a true prerequisite at University of Oklahoma would anyone suggest a Statistics course? My colleagues that just finished the course in Macroeconomics came out with low grades ranging from (C-D's) and they told me its an extremely hard math class. I do not know if theres any other statistic courses available to help on the PCAT but I will be transfering to that college by next Fall so I do not know what courses they offer there yet.All the advices would be most appreciated.
 
I didn't think that math portion was that bad. Just know how to do derivatives and i think you should be fine. It really similar to SAT math, from what i remember.
 
I have already finished "College Algebra" and "Calculus I Business,Life Sciences, and Social" aka -Business Calculus- in college.

My question(s) is that is that taking Business Calculus sufficient enough for the PCAT Math "Calculus" portion? Its not a true Calculus I course but more like an application based math course.

Also, even though its not a true prerequisite at University of Oklahoma would anyone suggest a Statistics course? My colleagues that just finished the course in Macroeconomics came out with low grades ranging from (C-D's) and they told me its an extremely hard math class. I do not know if theres any other statistic courses available to help on the PCAT but I will be transfering to that college by next Fall so I do not know what courses they offer there yet.All the advices would be most appreciated.
I'm not sure about the pharm school you're applying to, but I read on here that it's frowned upon to take business math classes because they're considered "easier" (I can't speak for the validity of that statement though). Another question I have is why take Macroecon? A lot of schools require MICROecon... Plus I've heard micro is sooooooo much easier. (I'm taking it next semester).
 
Yea, I read some other forums that Business Calc is frowned upon as well but a student in pharmacy school at the OU Health Center said he did that and he still got in. Also many other pre-pharmacy students around the Oklahoma area is doing that as well. I just want the upper hand when the PCAT comes against everyone else. i did take all Pre AP/AP classes in high school up to Calculus AB. (Made A's in all college classes and Calculus AB).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I read some other forums that Business Calc is frowned upon as well but a student in pharmacy school at the OU Health Center said he did that and he still got in. Also many other pre-pharmacy students around the Oklahoma area is doing that as well. I just want the upper hand when the PCAT comes against everyone else. i did take all Pre AP/AP classes in high school up to Calculus AB. (Made A's in all college classes and Calculus AB).
If I were you I'd just take Calc I (unless you're gonna use AP credit to replace it)... I love taking short cuts but they always come back to bite me in the butt when I do take em😉


I hate math....
 
If I were you I'd just take Calc I (unless you're gonna use AP credit to replace it)... I love taking short cuts but they always come back to bite me in the butt when I do take em😉


I hate math....




I caught the invisible words "I hate math..." by accident lol.Yea Ill probably take calc I for safe measures. thanks for the help
 
I didn't think that math portion was that bad. Just know how to do derivatives and i think you should be fine. It really similar to SAT math, from what i remember.

There must be some kind of regional aspect as to what is taught in certain classes..or maybe i've had good luck and bad luck in the tests that have been given to me.

In highschool I never took precal nevermind calculus and I got an 800 on the math portion of the SAT (obviously there were 0 calculus problems). However, I took the PCAT and there were lots of questions from content that was taught in my calculus 2 class in college.

Soooo maybe my calculus 1 class didnt cover as much as most schools and the rest was taught in my calculus 2 class. Or I had rotten luck on the PCAT.
 
Business Calc is the equivalent of high school algebra 2...it would help on some portions of the pcat but not the calc section...for as stats its not that difficult of a class at all...matter of fact it's a joke...with math you just need to practice a lot until it becomes second nature...heres a website that should help with calc: mathtv.com