MD-PhD Prospects?? šŸ„ŗ šŸ‘‰šŸ‘ˆ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAG321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Iā€™m a rising senior at a ā€˜rigorousā€™ private research institute, thinking about applying to MD-PhD programs with one gap year. Iā€™m hoping that ppl could evaluate my chances and give me some tips based on my my stats and (current) experience:

GPA: 3.9c (3.9s and 3.9ns)
MCAT: taking on 8/25, realistically aiming for a 512+

Research Experience:

- Iā€™m pursuing a dual BS/MS degree in biochem, which means that Iā€™ll graduate with a masterā€™s degree in addition to my bachelors at the end of my four years.

- Two labs, ~2500 hours total. 2 grants totaling $11k, 3 posters over 3 summers, and 1 publication on the docket. Research revolves around molecular biology and enzymology, so non-clinical.

Clinical Experience:

- 30 hours volunteering at a nursing home
- 15 shadowing hours, planning on racking up more
- Applied to be a medical scribe during my senior year
- Planning on doing some volunteering through my school.

Extras:

Jazz band, vice president of athletics club, founder and editor-in-chief of research journal (newly formed). Hobbies include tennis, endurance and weightlifting athletics, all that jazz.

Gap year plans:

- no definitive plans yet, although Iā€™m yearning to get some industry experience. Might do clinical research.
Would love to hear yā€™allā€™s thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We also have our Research Scientist forum where you should also post.

I think you need more shadowing, clinical exposure, and community service. You need to understand how your application may be reviewed since you are going to involve another group of faculty who will look at your file.

Connect with APSA or watch their mentoring videos on YouTube.

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine. Aim for the median 516 or higher, cast a wide net based on applicant number/program. You should still be fine if the score is a little lower and other aspects of the application compensate. Clinical and volunteering hours should match the average at MD programs, but are more flexible. https://www.aamc.org/media/6141/download?attachment

What do you mean by "grants totaling $11k". Grants are generally not provided to undergraduate students, at least by the NIH and most significant private funding sources, and are awarded in much more significant sums than this. If you won research conference awards, a stipend for research in a lab (i.e., akin to a NIH postbac IRTA), etc. I would not consider these grants (nor do you need them for an application at your stage). List them as honors/awards.

Connect with APSA or watch their mentoring videos on YouTube.
Not necessary. Majority of MD/PhD students and faculty have nothing to do with APSA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everything written so far, easily fixable things really

Hard to advise without MCAT score

Only thing to add is that I recommend you continue in basic/translational research, not clinical. Industry is not a bad approach, but staying in academics and getting more publications is best.

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine. Aim for the median 516 or higher, cast a wide net based on applicant number/program. You should still be fine if the score is a little lower and other aspects of the application compensate. Clinical and volunteering hours should match the average at MD programs, but are more flexible. https://www.aamc.org/media/6141/download?attachment

What do you mean by "grants totaling $11k". Grants are generally not provided to undergraduate students, at least by the NIH and most significant private funding sources, and are awarded in much more significant sums than this. If you won research conference awards, a stipend for research in a lab (i.e., akin to a NIH postbac IRTA), etc. I would not consider these grants (nor do you need them for an application at your stage). List them as honors/awards.

Not necessary. Majority of MD/PhD students and faculty have nothing to do with APSA.
Agree with everything written so far, easily fixable things really

Hard to advise without MCAT score

Only thing to add is that I recommend you continue in basic/translational research, not clinical. Industry is not a bad approach, but staying in academics and getting more publications is best.
update: I got a 516 lol