Step I Micro/Immuno shelf

Started by newbie123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newbie123

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MS1 and our school is having us take the Micro/Immuno shelf exam as our final exam for that course in May. Can anyone recommend a good review book? An MS2 is letting me borrow his Lange but that thing is massive. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
 
we had to take the micro/immuno shelf, too. the test was 2 days after our course final, so I just reviewed by reading through the 'ridiculously simple' micro book, and studied the end-of-chapter charts. I didn't review immuno, but I think the brs micro/immuno is a good review for that (the test was mostly micro, and I remembered the immuno material pretty well). good luck!
 
do you know if any of the other "ridiculously simple" books are worth buying? I heard the only good one was the micro but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that thought any of the other ones were helpful.
 
The only one worth buying is micro. I bought anatomy and physio, and didn't use them at all. There are much better review books out there for other subjects.
 
I took the Micro shelf a few weeks ago and did quite well (93rd percentile nationally.) What helped me the most was doing lots of practice questions. Levinson and Jawetz's Examination & Board Review had hundreds of questions and was VERY helpful. Most of the practice questions were divided up by subject (bacteriology, parasitology, virology, mycology, immunology)- so what I did was start by doing all the questions in a section. Then, I reviewed what I missed by looking it up and reading the relevant chapters (which are mercifully SHORT! Some chapters are just a page or two long!) There are also 2 comprehensive USMLE-style practice exams, which I took at the end for a final review. It's not as entertaining a book as Made Ridiculously Simple, but I personally found it more useful because of all the practice questions.
Another helpful option is if you're going to sign up for Qbank for boards review- go ahead and sign up now so you can do their micro and immuno questions for practice.