-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Microbiology
Started by xMav
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm using cliffs online. its free and has everything you need. It helps if you take micro. I would review diseases (bacterial, fungi, protozoan, viral etc) , prokaryotes, viruses. I also got Schuams Outline from the library. It has a Q&A format.
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/CliffsReviewTopic/Microbiology.topicArticleId-8524.html
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/CliffsReviewTopic/Microbiology.topicArticleId-8524.html
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm using cliffs online. its free and has everything you need. It helps if you take micro. I would review diseases (bacterial, fungi, protozoan, viral etc) , prokaryotes, viruses. I also got Schuams Outline from the library. It has a Q&A format.
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/CliffsReviewTopic/Microbiology.topicArticleId-8524.html
is it important to know certain types of bacteria like spirochetes, spirilla, etc?
Hi, are there any free online sites available to teach Microbiology at a level that's adequate for the PCAT? If not, can anyone recommend me any good textbooks? Thanks for the help!
its not really a big deal i wouldnt worry about it......
is it important to know certain types of bacteria like spirochetes, spirilla, etc?
To be a little more specific I would know about cellular morphology (shapes, gram nature), fungi and their characteristics, protozoan, amoeba, methods of movement.
Okay NOW I see why everyone hates Kaplan with a passion!!! B/c they don't review any microbiology whatsoever! 🙄 All the bio questions I missed on the pearson exam were under microbiology!!!!
I guess the 1400 dollar Kaplan class is only worth it if you are taking the DAT or MCAT but not PCAT.
I guess the 1400 dollar Kaplan class is only worth it if you are taking the DAT or MCAT but not PCAT.

I wouldn't focus too much on this section if you are pressed for time. I would know the difference between viruses, bacteria, prokaryotes and the difference between gram positive and gram negative.
I wouldn't focus too much on this section if you are pressed for time. I would know the difference between viruses, bacteria, prokaryotes and the difference between gram positive and gram negative.
I know the difference between all of those except Gram positive and negative bacterias....Are they different only b/c of their outter membrane? one stains and one doesn't? sorry if I sound stupid, but I have never ever taken anything related to microbiology in my life. I have a degree in chemistry. 🙄
Does anyone think its likely that there will be questions involving the sizes of cells (relative or measurement) in the bio section?
Okay NOW I see why everyone hates Kaplan with a passion!!! B/c they don't review any microbiology whatsoever! 🙄 All the bio questions I missed on the pearson exam were under microbiology!!!!
I guess the 1400 dollar Kaplan class is only worth it if you are taking the DAT or MCAT but not PCAT.![]()
It's $1950 for the MCAT review... 😡 seriously, its a rip but o wellz. I would suggest taking a microbiology course. However, I heard that the amount of micro actually varies from PCAT to PCAT. The questions that they do give are really basic and I would say just get the notes of someone who has taken micro.
It's $1950 for the MCAT review... 😡 seriously, its a rip but o wellz. I would suggest taking a microbiology course. However, I heard that the amount of micro actually varies from PCAT to PCAT. The questions that they do give are really basic and I would say just get the notes of someone who has taken micro.
$1950 is waaaay too much! I know nothing about the MCAT but I remember I took the $1300 Kaplan class for the DAT and did well on it, so I was pleased, (Kaplan exams and DAT were very similar! 😉) but Kaplan is NO help at all for the PCAT. I mean if its $1400 or $1950 and you WILL GET a 90% on PCAT or a 38 on the MCAT then fine its worth it, but if you paid that much money and still get a crappy score thats when it really sucks!!! 😡
Thank god I took SDN's advise and did not use the Kaplan class for the PCAT...I was VERY CLOSE in paying $1400 for it!
$1950 is waaaay too much! I know nothing about the MCAT but I remember I took the $1300 Kaplan class for the DAT and did well on it, so I was pleased, (Kaplan exams and DAT were very similar! 😉) but Kaplan is NO help at all for the PCAT. I mean if its $1400 or $1950 and you WILL GET a 90% on PCAT or a 38 on the MCAT then fine its worth it, but if you paid that much money and still get a crappy score thats when it really sucks!!! 😡
Thank god I took SDN's advise and did not use the Kaplan class for the PCAT...I was VERY CLOSE in paying $1400 for it!
Whew dodged that bullet, eh? Overall, I don't think that they developed their PCAT section as well as they do their MCAT based on their review books that I have glanced at. Also, the PCAT in my opinion just needs some minimal focus time... and is not worth a month's salary for a review course. Just review your notes from the classes you've taken and you should be fine.
Whew dodged that bullet, eh? Overall, I don't think that they developed their PCAT section as well as they do their MCAT based on their review books that I have glanced at. Also, the PCAT in my opinion just needs some minimal focus time... and is not worth a month's salary for a review course. Just review your notes from the classes you've taken and you should be fine.
So glad I got that PCAT over with!!! 😀😀😀 Now I can finally RELAX!!!!! I agree Kaplan isn't worth it for the PCAT...in fact the PCAT kaplan book is the same as the DAT book...Kaplan need to added microbiology on their biol section.
So glad I got that PCAT over with!!! 😀😀😀 Now I can finally RELAX!!!!! I agree Kaplan isn't worth it for the PCAT...in fact the PCAT kaplan book is the same as the DAT book...Kaplan need to added microbiology on their biol section.
They need to add O-chem to their book, it is grossly inadequate. I was taken aback at how many ochem questions were on the test. I didnt have much time to study ochem because I took the practice harcourt too late. Its what I get for putting too much faith in the Kaplan book.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They need to add O-chem to their book, it is grossly inadequate. I was taken aback at how many ochem questions were on the test. I didnt have much time to study ochem because I took the practice harcourt too late. Its what I get for putting too much faith in the Kaplan book.
I agree. Kaplan should add more organic chem. materials to their review book, but they rather not (not yet at least).
Since organic chemistry is extensively covered in Kaplan's science review notes (the book you get after paying over 1000 dollars for the kaplan PCAT class), my speculation is kaplan wants test takers to pay them more money for their comprehensive review course. (The class also provides flash cards that I thought were more valuable than the review books)
To get around this, buy the books and flash cards from someone who already took kaplan's PCAT review class.
I heard Dr. Collins material is decent too but I have yet to try it. I probably will if I have to take the PCAT again.
I agree. Kaplan should add more organic chem. materials to their review book, but they rather not (not yet at least).
Since organic chemistry is extensively covered in Kaplan's science review notes (the book you get after paying over 1000 dollars for the kaplan PCAT class), my speculation is kaplan wants test takers to pay them more money for their comprehensive review course. (The class also provides flash cards that I thought were more valuable than the review books)
To get around this, buy the books and flash cards from someone who already took kaplan's PCAT review class.
I heard Dr. Collins material is decent too but I have yet to try it. I probably will if I have to take the PCAT again.
Dr. Collins is pretty good. If you get it used, make sure that the package has everything. Mine was missing the solutions for some parts so that was kinda disappointing.