Microdosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some docs who'll put a pump in anything with a mu receptor, with up to 3 or 4 drugs at times, high, high doses, sometimes with PO meds too, and the results are, well, let's just say, not that great. What are your thoughts on opiate detox followed by pump micro-dosing?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously? Come on. No one has any thoughts on pump micro dosing? Not even, "what's micro dosing?". Not even, "that's crazy it'll never work"?

How about "Son, you need a real job"

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some docs who'll put a pump in anything with a mu receptor, with up to 3 or 4 drugs at times, high, high doses, sometimes with PO meds too, and the results are, well, let's just say, not that great. What are your thoughts on opiate detox followed by pump micro-dosing?

I heard about it as a fellow and was intrigued but didn't understand it. Since then, having learned some more information on the glia - and how they work with respect to opioid receptor and chirality, it makes MUCH more sense to me why and how it may work.

Then I have heard lots of people doing it - with apparent great success. I have yet actually laid eyes on a patient that has had it done - but I know of at least two doctors in town doing it and it apparently works very well. They both do the opioid detox, but I don't know for how long. One doctor always uses bupiviciane with his low dose opioid.

However, the thing that also doesn't make sense to me is drug distribution - but that is a question for pumps in general. Some of the amazing work done by CM Bernarnds makes me wonder how drug delivered in a pump EVER works.

I heard about it as a fellow and was intrigued but didn't understand it. Since then, having learned some more information on the glia - and how they work with respect to opioid receptor and chirality, it makes MUCH more sense to me why and how it may work.

Then I have heard lots of people doing it - with apparent great success. I have yet actually laid eyes on a patient that has had it done - but I know of at least two doctors in town doing it and it apparently works very well. They both do the opioid detox, but I don't know for how long. One doctor always uses bupiviciane with his low dose opioid.

However, the thing that also doesn't make sense to me is drug distribution - but that is a question for pumps in general. Some of the amazing work done by CM Bernarnds makes me wonder how drug delivered in a pump EVER works.

It seems to me that the pre-procedure taper and detox is the key which effectively "hits the reset button" on the opiate receptors, reversing opiod induced hyperalgesia, allowing better results with much lower intrathecal doses. So, the proponents say, anyways. There's just not that much published on it yet, though I talked to some people working on some publications on this. Interesting.

The concept of microdosing was initiated by William Witt, MD, a former chairman of anesthesiology at University of Kentucky, who has now become a pain doc in private practice. The concept is based on the fact that the use of very small doses , a few micrograms per day, of an opioid will activate the mu receptors without flooding them or causing hyperalgesia. There is some weak rat science to support this, but less clinical science. The protocol for patient selection requires effectively complete withdrawal from all opioids for an extended period of time. If they can do this, then the microdose trial is performed, then implantation. Tolerance does develop at the same rate as normal dosing but the dosing is so small, that 3 times the rate after a year is still very small. Critics say the selection criteria effectively choose those who do not need opioids in the first place, therefore the use of a microdose intrathecal pump is like using a sledge hammer when minimal dose oral codeine would work just as well. There are no comparative studies between groups, and details on the process are hard to come by. I received a slide presentation by Medtronic that touted this approach but was very generic without a lot of details. Josh Wellington, the pain director at IU, also uses this approach in some patients and lectures on the process.

It seems to me that the pre-procedure taper and detox is the key which effectively "hits the reset button" on the opiate receptors, reversing opiod induced hyperalgesia, allowing better results with much lower intrathecal doses. So, the proponents say, anyways. There's just not that much published on it yet, though I talked to some people working on some publications on this. Interesting.

Ok. It's dumb. And a silly idea

The concept of microdosing was initiated by William Witt, MD, a former chairman of anesthesiology at University of Kentucky, who has now become a pain doc in private practice. The concept is based on the fact that the use of very small doses , a few micrograms per day, of an opioid will activate the mu receptors without flooding them or causing hyperalgesia. There is some weak rat science to support this, but less clinical science. The protocol for patient selection requires effectively complete withdrawal from all opioids for an extended period of time. If they can do this, then the microdose trial is performed, then implantation. Tolerance does develop at the same rate as normal dosing but the dosing is so small, that 3 times the rate after a year is still very small. Critics say the selection criteria effectively choose those who do not need opioids in the first place, therefore the use of a microdose intrathecal pump is like using a sledge hammer when minimal dose oral codeine would work just as well. There are no comparative studies between groups, and details on the process are hard to come by. I received a slide presentation by Medtronic that touted this approach but was very generic without a lot of details. Josh Wellington, the pain director at IU, also uses this approach in some patients and lectures on the process.

I know someone who visitied Whitt in Louisville. And they touted the effects of micro dosing, but t guess what, every patient is on a large dose of med eventually... At least as I was told second hand. Not crazy doses, but still a few mg a day of this and that...he was one of those guys that Medtronic would hook you up with.