More volunteering?

Started by Deepa100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deepa100

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
Within the last 18 months I have gained about 220+ hrs. of experience working at the same hospitals but in different roles in different areas. I am thinking about doing some work at adult care nursing homes this fall. I shadowed one doctor for one day. I plan to ask my obgyn, endocrinologist and my perinatologist if I could shadow them (I am pretty sure this won't be a problem because I am a volunteer at the same hospital where they all work at).

Other than that, I want to concentrate on MCAT and a few classes I want to take. So far, my grades have been good.

Do you thinnk my volunteer exp will be sufficient. I want to get into top 30 (good enough for me), not necessarily top 10.
Thanks!
Deepa
 
Hi all,
Within the last 18 months I have gained about 220+ hrs. of experience working at the same hospitals but in different roles in different areas. I am thinking about doing some work at adult care nursing homes this fall. I shadowed one doctor for one day. I plan to ask my obgyn, endocrinologist and my perinatologist if I could shadow them (I am pretty sure this won't be a problem because I am a volunteer at the same hospital where they all work at).

Other than that, I want to concentrate on MCAT and a few classes I want to take. So far, my grades have been good.

Do you thinnk my volunteer exp will be sufficient. I want to get into top 30 (good enough for me), not necessarily top 10.
Thanks!
Deepa

Do what makes you happy while maintaining good grades and getting a good MCAT score. I put in about 500 recorded hours of shadowing volunteering or something, however I ended up liking research and community service more so I've been sticking with that. More importantly, i've been focusing on grades😉. Everyone is required to have some kind of clinical experience. The question is how meaningful it is compared to the next applicant.