You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Most respected Peds programs in South East?
Started by surftheiop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was curious what you all would consider the top 5-10 peds programs in the southeast? I know Texas Children's is one of the top few in the country, but besides that what programs are highly regarded for someone wanting to go into academics?
What's your definition of southeast?
Some schools that come to mind are:
- Duke
- MUSC (South Carolina)
- Alabama
- Arkansas
- Baylor
- CNMC (Washinton, DC) if you consider DC southeast
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dunno how 'respected' it is per se, but Batson Children's hospital in MS has the 4th largest PICU in the country...
http://www.umhc.com/UMHC_SFTwoFrame.aspx?id=2147484750&LangType=1033
18 beds hardly seems close to the 4th largest in the country-- not that quantity=quality, but what am I missing?
18 beds and 1000 annual admissions = no where close to "4th largest" - "big" PICU's are over 2000 admissions, medium sized units will be somewhere north of 1400, and small units will be less than 1000 admissions.
I'd agreed with the list that SamDC put together and would include Vanderbilt and Emory as well. If you're going to be an academic generalist I'd probably move Vanderbilt towards the top with Duke. It's one of those things where, right or wrong, names can grab attention.
In other fields like critical care and cardiology, Arkansas has an extremely strong reputation, and is considered a strong clinical program across the board, although not necessarily a strong research residency program.
UAB I generally hear conflicting information on. They are building a new children's hospital, and they're sizable, but I've also heard that pediatrics is the weak link compared to other departments at UAB. Not sure what to make of the program either way.
MUSC is well known although smaller. Certainly, EVERYBODY loves Charleston (say this with your best Colonel Sanders raspy southern accent possible)...
Wake Forest is another one that you've left off you list - very strong in a number of different areas. Smaller program and Winston-Salem is a great town.
In the end, there are a number of really great programs in the South, with a variety of sized programs. If you want a big program, you can't get bigger than Baylor, but Arkansas takes 25ish a year which is sizable. If you want a medium sized program UAB takes about 18 a year, Wake takes 13ish. Want a big city, you have options in Houston, Nashville, or Atlanta. Want a college town? You can try Wake or Duke or UNC. Lots of options and regardless of the field you want to go in to, I would strongly encourage you to apply broadly and not focus solely on reputation.
I'd agreed with the list that SamDC put together and would include Vanderbilt and Emory as well. If you're going to be an academic generalist I'd probably move Vanderbilt towards the top with Duke. It's one of those things where, right or wrong, names can grab attention.
In other fields like critical care and cardiology, Arkansas has an extremely strong reputation, and is considered a strong clinical program across the board, although not necessarily a strong research residency program.
UAB I generally hear conflicting information on. They are building a new children's hospital, and they're sizable, but I've also heard that pediatrics is the weak link compared to other departments at UAB. Not sure what to make of the program either way.
MUSC is well known although smaller. Certainly, EVERYBODY loves Charleston (say this with your best Colonel Sanders raspy southern accent possible)...
Wake Forest is another one that you've left off you list - very strong in a number of different areas. Smaller program and Winston-Salem is a great town.
In the end, there are a number of really great programs in the South, with a variety of sized programs. If you want a big program, you can't get bigger than Baylor, but Arkansas takes 25ish a year which is sizable. If you want a medium sized program UAB takes about 18 a year, Wake takes 13ish. Want a big city, you have options in Houston, Nashville, or Atlanta. Want a college town? You can try Wake or Duke or UNC. Lots of options and regardless of the field you want to go in to, I would strongly encourage you to apply broadly and not focus solely on reputation.
thanks for the the responses all, I'm no where near applying (and I might not even do peds). I was just trying to get a general "lay of the land" for southern programs
http://www.umhc.com/UMHC_SFTwoFrame.aspx?id=2147484750&LangType=1033
18 beds hardly seems close to the 4th largest in the country-- not that quantity=quality, but what am I missing?
Haha, my mistake. It's not the PICU, it's the NICU at Wiser Hospital I was thinking of. You're right, 18 beds isn't exactly anything to write home about.
What's your definition of southeast?
Some schools that come to mind are:
- Duke
- MUSC (South Carolina)
- Alabama
- Arkansas
- Baylor
- CNMC (Washinton, DC) if you consider DC southeast
I noticed Alabama has 2 peds program: Uni of Alabama (Birmingham) and Uni of South Alabama (Mobile). Just wondering, which program did u mean? Or if anyone else knows which program is stronger, would appreciate the feedback.
I noticed Alabama has 2 peds program: Uni of Alabama (Birmingham) and Uni of South Alabama (Mobile). Just wondering, which program did u mean? Or if anyone else knows which program is stronger, would appreciate the feedback.
Apologies for the misunderstanding. I meant UAB (Birmingham).
Dunno how 'respected' it is per se, but Batson Children's hospital in MS has the 4th largest PICU in the country...
Sure you didn't mean NICU? It's close to 100 beds and definitely one of the largest in the country.
Haha, my mistake. It's not the PICU, it's the NICU at Wiser Hospital I was thinking of. You're right, 18 beds isn't exactly anything to write home about.
Reading the entire thread would probably serve me well

Sorry!