MS1 looking at cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FrickenhugeMD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just about done with my first year of med school and starting to lean heavily towards cardiology. After shadowing a few different physicians and having enjoyed cardiac portion of my physiology course I feel like I may have found what I want to do.

My question is what can I do to get myself into a cards fellowship (I know I need good grades, boards, letters, ect.) . I currently have no research under my belt, and I have already made a commitment to a summer shadowing program this summer, so I can't get any then (not involving cards). I'm currently in the top 1/3 of my class (AMG, middle tier I think), but I realize things are still early.

What kind of research should I get involved in? When? I hear most students at my school don't do research during their second year, but I'm not sure. How important is research? Do I need to have it? I just don't feel like I know what I need to get where I want to get. Any advice is much appreciated