Step I NBME 15 question help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunshine02

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A 50-year-old man comes to the emergency department because of a 2-week history of progressive shortness of breath. His pulse is 90/min, respirations are 26/min, and blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg. Physical examination shows no other abnormalities. Laboratory studies show:

Arterial Pco2 30 mm Hg Arterial Po2 96 mm Hg Arterial O2 content 12 vol% (N=17%–21%) Mixed venous Po2 36 mm Hg Mixed venous O2 content 8 vol% (N=10%–16%)

Which of the following is the most likely explanation for these findings?

A) Anemia B) Drug-induced alveolar hypoventilation C) Residence at a high altitude D) Severe regional mismatching of alveolar ventilation and pulmonary capillary perfusion E) Voluntary hyperventilation

I understand why it's A but I can't rule out D either. Why can't it be D as well? Or E?