Need Advice! - Chicago Area

Started by leahq
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leahq

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I really need advice! I'm in a pretty bad situation but I want to make the best out of it and turn it around! Please help! 😕

Well, I completed 3 semesters of biology curriculum and became discouraged when I received a few C's and then decided to change my major to something unrelated to science.

Now, I would really like to go back to science and fulfill my dream of being a pharmacist. As I am from the Chicagoland area, I would love to go to pharmacy school at Midwestern or somewhere similar. However, I'm a bit worried and don't know if any of this is possible. I still have a few prerequisites to take, and if everything goes according to plan, I will be done with those in the spring. I currently have a 3.1 GPA and I am a good test taker. If I study really hard, I know I will do well on the PCAT, which is the least of my concerns.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Can I retake the classes I received C's in? I feel some of the C's I have are unacceptable as they are in General Biology and General Chemistry classes and I could do much better now that I am more motivated than ever.

Also, do I have to retake them at the same institution (I have a problem with some of the faculty at my current school) or can I transfer and take them elsewhere? I have applied and been accepted to a few schools in the area, but I'd have to make my move fast as the next semester is right around the corner...

2. Is it super important that I receive a bachelor's degree? I am technically a senior right now and I feel like I'm running out of time. I don't want to be in school until I'm 30 if it's not necessary!

3. Can I apply to a school before I finish all of the prerequisite courses? If I prove to them that I plan on taking the rest of the classes in the spring, can I submit my application in the fall?

I am just really worried because the application deadlines are in January for the school year beginning August 2014... and I know the big gap is due to the application processing and interviews but would I really have to wait a whole year to apply?

I would really appreciate it if someone took the time to help me out and answer my questions. I am sorry I am so clueless! I just need someone knowledgeable to shed some light! Also, give me any other suggestions related to my situation!