Need advice re: post-doc IRTA terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WorkaholicsAnon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Going to graduating IM residency in a couple months. I am getting set up for a post-doc IRTA at the NIH, and my future mentor is asking whether to set me up for a 1 year or a 2 year position. Pros and cons of each variant?

The 2 year irta sounds good because I'll be all set for that period of time, and not have to worry about re-funding after the 1st year. But I am worried that if I decided to pursue a clinical fellowship, I may need to leave the IRTA position a few months early if I choose the 2 year position (most fellowships start in July). Would leaving early be a problem? (with ample advance notice obviously).

If I do the 1 year option, is it a big deal to extend it by some months, or am I risking not being funded after the year runs out?
 
Do the 2 years. It's MUCH easier to shorten a fellowship (save them money) than it is to extend a fellowship (cost them money). As a post-bac IRTA, I was signed up as 2 years with the expectation that I'd only do one, but just in case I decided to stay it would make the process much easier.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the 2 years. It's MUCH easier to shorten a fellowship (save them money) than it is to extend a fellowship (cost them money). As a post-bac IRTA, I was signed up as 2 years with the expectation that I'd only do one, but just in case I decided to stay it would make the process much easier.

Have you heard of anyone NOT getting extended if they wanted it? When I did an techIRTA (now would be pre) back in 1999 a second year was offered after I finished my one year...
 
I have heard of a few stories, but I don't know many people who try to extend for a year. I think the most notable story I can think of is someone who's lab didn't want them back. My PI thought it would be a good idea to get the years up front just so he didn't have to go through the hassle of an extension. An early termination just requires a quick note.
 
thanks guys, I consulted with my future mentor about this as well and they said the same thing--no problem leaving a little early, but overall better to get set up for 2 years if I am thinking of staying longer than 1 year.

So, i'm signed up for 2! Appreciate the help!