Need advice

Started by Aleeeee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aleeeee

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, this is my first time posting in this forum so please excuse me if I've created this in the wrong thread.
I have just recently graduated from a UC in California with a BS degree in Biology. My major issue is that I goofed off quite a bit in college and now I am sadly stuck with a regretful GPA of only 2.7. My goal as of now is to apply to a private school, however; I was advised to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.1 to be considered competitive. I am currently in the process of enrolling at a community college to finish some prerequisites such as Anatomy, Physiology, and Speech... but as of raising my GPA, I am unsure of what to do.
I have read up on post-bacc programs, but I am ineligible for many of them and I fear there I may be rejected because of high competition. If anyone can please advise me on what to do, I would appreciate it so much. Thank you
 
I'm not sure how pharm schools deal with post-bacc grades, but with med schools you can do an informal post-bacc at a university of your choosing and pick your classes a la carte. It is not necessary to matriculate into a formal post-bacc program. You might try contacting a few schools and get some feedback straight from the horse's mouth (do people still say that nowadays?).
 
I'm not sure how pharm schools deal with post-bacc grades, but with med schools you can do an informal post-bacc at a university of your choosing and pick your classes a la carte. It is not necessary to matriculate into a formal post-bacc program. You might try contacting a few schools and get some feedback straight from the horse's mouth (do people still say that nowadays?).

That sounds quite expensive, but I guess that is the only choice I have! Thank you for the tips 🙂
 
That sounds quite expensive, but I guess that is the only choice I have! Thank you for the tips 🙂

Doing a self-constructed postbac and picking your own classes at your state 4-year college will almost certainly be cheaper than a formal postbac. Any 4-year college will work; it doesn't have to be a private school or even a good state school.