Need help choosing a school please!

Started by Bellemort
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bellemort

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied for pharmacy school this past cycle, and was immediately contacted by St Louis College of Pharmacy for an interview, and was notified of my acceptance soon afterwards. As a result I declined the rest of my interviews other than the one to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine. I was really impressed by PCOM labs, and the fact that they're partnered with a DO program, gives pharmacy students a unique opportunity to even utilize real cadavers. I'm from the south (Florida) and a little worried about Midwestern climate. However visiting St Louis in the summer, has alerted me to the exciting possibilities that comes with living in a city. I would be a transfer student in STLCOP since its a 1-6 school, and will start as a p3. The school also has a 100 year history and is located within the medical district of St. Louis, providing exciting rotation possibilities. PCOM is located in scenic Suwanee Georgia, has temperatures I'm more acclimated with, but really is fairly isolated so the only people ill likely know are those that attend the school. Their pharmacy program in Georgia is also relatively newer, though they have an established 100 year history in the DO program in Philadelphia. I'm very conflicted with which to choose and was hoping for some insight from others!! Some additional information, I was offered a scholarship to STLCOP, however the cost of living there is much greater than Suwanee, so I feel like tuition and cost of living expenses will equate itself. Please help!!
 
Well, when I went everyone seemed friendly, and I'm more interested in how people view an older school vs a newer school but with more up to date technology. But thanks. Can others please chime in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied for pharmacy school this past cycle, and was immediately contacted by St Louis College of Pharmacy for an interview, and was notified of my acceptance soon afterwards. As a result I declined the rest of my interviews other than the one to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine. I was really impressed by PCOM labs, and the fact that they're partnered with a DO program, gives pharmacy students a unique opportunity to even utilize real cadavers. I'm from the south (Florida) and a little worried about Midwestern climate. However visiting St Louis in the summer, has alerted me to the exciting possibilities that comes with living in a city. I would be a transfer student in STLCOP since its a 1-6 school, and will start as a p3. The school also has a 100 year history and is located within the medical district of St. Louis, providing exciting rotation possibilities. PCOM is located in scenic Suwanee Georgia, has temperatures I'm more acclimated with, but really is fairly isolated so the only people ill likely know are those that attend the school. Their pharmacy program in Georgia is also relatively newer, though they have an established 100 year history in the DO program in Philadelphia. I'm very conflicted with which to choose and was hoping for some insight from others!! Some additional information, I was offered a scholarship to STLCOP, however the cost of living there is much greater than Suwanee, so I feel like tuition and cost of living expenses will equate itself. Please help!!
Hi, I've also been accepted to STLCOP and have been searching the site to read any more information about the program before I put down a deposit. Have you made up your mind about the school and will you be attending in the fall?
 
I applied for pharmacy school this past cycle, and was immediately contacted by St Louis College of Pharmacy for an interview, and was notified of my acceptance soon afterwards. As a result I declined the rest of my interviews other than the one to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine. I was really impressed by PCOM labs, and the fact that they're partnered with a DO program, gives pharmacy students a unique opportunity to even utilize real cadavers. I'm from the south (Florida) and a little worried about Midwestern climate. However visiting St Louis in the summer, has alerted me to the exciting possibilities that comes with living in a city. I would be a transfer student in STLCOP since its a 1-6 school, and will start as a p3. The school also has a 100 year history and is located within the medical district of St. Louis, providing exciting rotation possibilities. PCOM is located in scenic Suwanee Georgia, has temperatures I'm more acclimated with, but really is fairly isolated so the only people ill likely know are those that attend the school. Their pharmacy program in Georgia is also relatively newer, though they have an established 100 year history in the DO program in Philadelphia. I'm very conflicted with which to choose and was hoping for some insight from others!! Some additional information, I was offered a scholarship to STLCOP, however the cost of living there is much greater than Suwanee, so I feel like tuition and cost of living expenses will equate itself. Please help!!
Well with pcoms rep as a do school I wouldn't worry about it being new. I've interviewed at many schools in Florida and Georgia area and pcom was the one I felt I fit in the most. So Ultimately, I chose pcom.
 
I completely forgot about this thread. I ended up taking a tour of both schools with my mom, and she had a strong preference for STLCOP given its 100 year history and proximity to hospitals (better rotation sites). SO in short I ended up picking STLCOP and I am currently finishing my P2 year. GlobalPharm9 did you end up choosing STLCOP as well?