Need help with flow of personal essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prept2003

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently writing my personal statement for PTCAS and I am struggling with the flow of my personal statement.

I am starting with a story from working into a clinic but am struggling with how to flow into the rest of the essay about qualities I have to be a successful therapist.

Any advice is so helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a bad idea to start with why physical therapy interests you, how you've worked towards obtaining that goal and including attributes that set you apart from others. Almost everyone says they want to help people, that they were a high-school/college athlete who dealt with injuries, etc. Set yourself apart from the norm.

I would start with something more interesting about yourself than a clinic story. I read dozens of essays each cycle from my clients and it's always good to start with something that will set you apart and catch the reader's attention.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you don't have to start with a clinical experience. More importantly, you want to let the reader see your desirable qualities throughout your narrative essay. Optimal flow involves connecting the pieces/paragraphs together for the reader.

So, OP, what are these qualities? What vignettes are you presenting to demonstrate them? Would your future patients, clients, or peers discern these characteristics favorably?

Hi everyone! I am currently writing my personal statement for PTCAS and I am struggling with the flow of my personal statement.

I am starting with a story from working into a clinic but am struggling with how to flow into the rest of the essay about qualities I have to be a successful therapist.

Any advice is so helpful, thank you!
Whatever you start with, make sure the qualities you’re choosing align with that experience.
Not all of us have to start the same.
COHERENCY is the key.

Leave your essay alone for 1-2 days. Then go back to it and read it as a person who’s reading a short story book.
At the end decided and see if that story in whole made any sense or not.

And choose some qualities of a PT rhat you can find examples of them (in real life), somehow related to your opening story.
Examples are second key. They don’t know you, they don’t see you, the only way they can relate to you and understand you is to make it easier for them to understand “who you are”.

Hope it helped.