Need info about surgery please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goooooober

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope my question doesn't sound too stupid. I am about to start my first year in medical school and I have always known that I want to be a sugeon. However, what I have never known is what it takes to become one. I don't mean grades, or letters or boards. I know you need to do great on those. I mean physically, do you have to have really stable hands that never shake, or any other ability that sets you apart from others? I don't have any physical handicaps, but I wonder if my hands shake too much or if I possess all the abilities necessary. If you can shed some light on this and educate me I will be greatly appreciative. The more experience you have the better. Thanx in advance.
 
Relax, almost any med student can become a surgeon if they wanted to. Don't let the glorification of surgeons on TV fool you. Obviously your hands cannot shake too much, but there are even surgeons out there with mild hand tremors and other disabilities that still operate.
 
Originally posted by goooooober
I hope my question doesn't sound too stupid. I am about to start my first year in medical school and I have always known that I want to be a sugeon. However, what I have never known is what it takes to become one. I don't mean grades, or letters or boards. I know you need to do great on those. I mean physically, do you have to have really stable hands that never shake, or any other ability that sets you apart from others? I don't have any physical handicaps, but I wonder if my hands shake too much or if I possess all the abilities necessary. If you can shed some light on this and educate me I will be greatly appreciative. The more experience you have the better. Thanx in advance.

Hi there,
Since you are about to start medical school, join the surgery interest group at your school. You will get a good opportunity to interact with other folks with a common interest and you can probably get to spend some time with the surgery residents and attendings who can directly answer your questions. You will also get a chance to experience first-hand some of the experiences of surgery as most medical school surgery societies have "shadowing" experiences for first and second year students. You have plenty of time to explore surgery and other medical specialties that might become of interest as you go through medical school. Enjoy!

njbmd