liquidcrawler

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
I hate to ask this because it is such a small question, but I was planning on adding 1 more school to my list. I'm OOS for California and my stats are median for UCSF. I really only want to spend the money applying to 1 more, so which school is less competitive/do I have a better shot at? Though I'm not too sure if its too late in the cycle even.

hubbsbubbs

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
UCLA has the longest secondary application I have ever seen. Even longer than Duke's.

UCLA and UCSF are both extremely competitive. Apply to whichever you like better. UCLA may be more forgiving for MCAT if you have the life story, but that does not mean it will be easier to get in.

OP
liquidcrawler

liquidcrawler

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
UCLA has the longest secondary application I have ever seen. Even longer than Duke's.

UCLA and UCSF are both extremely competitive. Apply to whichever you like better. UCLA may be more forgiving for MCAT if you have the life story, but that does not mean it will be easier to get in.
I guess that settles it then, I don't have the steam to write another Duke-length secondary.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
They're both highly competitive:
UCSF 4100 OOS apps/199 IIs/seated 31 = 0.75% Figure a minimum 1.5% chance at acceptance

UCLA 4900 apps/270 IIs/seated 46 = 0.94% Figure ~2% chance at acceptance.

People want to go to SF or LA.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I say go for it. Both are super competitive, but LA might be a tad cheaper for cost of living. I submitted to UCSF and kind of wish I'd gone with UCLA only because it seems like many applicants from my school get in there. But I don't know how many applicants from my school were from CA when they applied. At least you don't have to worry about writing the secondary or the fee if you don't get past the screen (but who am I kidding? Of course you'll get past the screen...).

Reactions: liquidcrawler

Noctámbulo

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, UCLA just cut back their character counts (from 4000 per question to 500-800), so now it's just 10 or so short responses, rather than full-length essays.

P0ke

M3
2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Someone from my SMP interviewed at UCLA (but not UCSF), so I'd venture to say that it's at least marginally less competitive to get into UCLA if an SMP student can get an interview there.

hubbsbubbs

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, UCLA just cut back their character counts (from 4000 per question to 500-800), so now it's just 10 or so short responses, rather than full-length essays.
Wait, when did that happen? I already submitted mine with full essays for each question.

Noctámbulo

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2014
Wait, when did that happen? I already submitted mine with full essays for each question.
Just a few days ago! But no worries, if you've already submitted under their previous guidelines, they will read everything (according to someone who called and asked).

Reactions: hubbsbubbs