This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidcrawler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCLA has the longest secondary application I have ever seen. Even longer than Duke's.

UCLA and UCSF are both extremely competitive. Apply to whichever you like better. UCLA may be more forgiving for MCAT if you have the life story, but that does not mean it will be easier to get in.

Reactions: 1 users
They're both highly competitive:
UCSF 4100 OOS apps/199 IIs/seated 31 = 0.75% Figure a minimum 1.5% chance at acceptance

UCLA 4900 apps/270 IIs/seated 46 = 0.94% Figure ~2% chance at acceptance.

People want to go to SF or LA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go for it. Both are super competitive, but LA might be a tad cheaper for cost of living. I submitted to UCSF and kind of wish I'd gone with UCLA only because it seems like many applicants from my school get in there. But I don't know how many applicants from my school were from CA when they applied. At least you don't have to worry about writing the secondary or the fee if you don't get past the screen (but who am I kidding? Of course you'll get past the screen...).

Reactions: 1 user
Also, UCLA just cut back their character counts (from 4000 per question to 500-800), so now it's just 10 or so short responses, rather than full-length essays.

Someone from my SMP interviewed at UCLA (but not UCSF), so I'd venture to say that it's at least marginally less competitive to get into UCLA if an SMP student can get an interview there.

Also, UCLA just cut back their character counts (from 4000 per question to 500-800), so now it's just 10 or so short responses, rather than full-length essays.
Wait, when did that happen? I already submitted mine with full essays for each question.

Wait, when did that happen? I already submitted mine with full essays for each question.
Just a few days ago! But no worries, if you've already submitted under their previous guidelines, they will read everything (according to someone who called and asked).