Neuritis - how does the inflammatory process progress?

Started by daisyboi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daisyboi

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a PhD student looking at the pathology and treatment of Morton's neuroma (plantar digital neuritis). My background is in podiatry and I confess a poor understanding of the neurological processes involved in the manifestation of this condition. It has been mentioned to me that the nerve in question undergoes a process whereby it enlarges and shrinks at various stages throughout the inflammatory process. I wonder whether anyone can shed light on the actual process and whether there is general consensus regarding the way in which the neuritis develops within the nerve. I feel that if this description is correct it may have consequences for diagnostic imaging and may help to explain the large number of clinically positive cases for this condition which return negative ultra sound scans.

Many thanks

Dave