New rabies antibody

Started by katryn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nice find - Was hoping that it was about a new sensitive Ab rabies test; guess a new post-exposure treatment is good as well! It is Rabies awareness week, or month, or perhaps that was last week, whatever. Rabies is bad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice find - Was hoping that it was about a new sensitive Ab rabies test; guess a new post-exposure treatment is good as well! It is Rabies awareness week, or month, or perhaps that was last week, whatever. Rabies is bad.

Rabies Ab testing that worked would be awesome! But nah, it's about new ways to mass produce rabies treatment for less $$.
 
Rabies Ab testing that worked would be awesome! But nah, it's about new ways to mass produce rabies treatment for less $$.

A friend of mine works in a lab which does research towards creating a new rabies vaccine (I think for humans though) where only 1 dose (instead of the current 3) would be needed. This would also apply for post-exposure treatment. Also would save a lot of $, and help with compliance issues post-exposure.
 
A friend of mine works in a lab which does research towards creating a new rabies vaccine (I think for humans though) where only 1 dose (instead of the current 3) would be needed. This would also apply for post-exposure treatment. Also would save a lot of $, and help with compliance issues post-exposure.

Now that would be impressive, but not sure I believe it. IIRC, Rabies vaccine is an antigen, whereas post exposure is Ab. I can't see how giving the Ab as a vaccine would = long term protection; and I definitely can't see how giving an Ag would produce Ab fast enough post exposure.
 
Now that would be impressive, but not sure I believe it. IIRC, Rabies vaccine is an antigen, whereas post exposure is Ab. I can't see how giving the Ab as a vaccine would = long term protection; and I definitely can't see how giving an Ag would produce Ab fast enough post exposure.

I'm pretty sure that the Ig is only given to people who haven't previously been immunized. And in this case its given with the vaccine. For people who have been previously immunized, they only receive vaccine post-exposure, not the Ig.
People who have been effectively vaccinated shouldn't need Ig, the point is they should make it themselves and quickly.
Ig is expensive to make, as someone pointed out earlier, and the work I know about has nothing to do with that.