New rotation, getting hang of things

Started by cheruka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cheruka

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Just curious to know when you are in a new environment/attending with a new EMR, if you feel a bit overwhelmed on the first day. For example, new hospital or department with a new EMR. I usually do better by second day and do much better by the 3 rd day. Just wondering how everyone feels about this sort of thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First day always sucks. Second day is 100% better. I've found that after the first week once I've discharged peeps who were there before I got there, things really start to fly.
 
Hi,
Just curious to know when you are in a new environment/attending with a new EMR, if you feel a bit overwhelmed on the first day. For example, new hospital or department with a new EMR. I usually do better by second day and do much better by the 3 rd day. Just wondering how everyone feels about this sort of thing.

Normal for the first few days on a rotation, even if it's the same EMR. Every service does things a bit differently. Just need to ape how the others do it at first, understanding will come later.
 
Yup, it sucks. Kind of like the feeling we had as medical students when starting anew for each rotation, but worse.

It gets better. Both in terms of becoming easier quickly on subsequent days -- or at least a little less overwhelming -- and as you do it through residency, you get better at this sort of thing in general.