New to PCAT

Started by PCAT_gal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PCAT_gal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi

I am new to PCAT and am taking it for the first time in June. I looked through the FAQ sticky and did not find answers. So here goes.........

When they give you the question booklet, are all sections on it or do they hand out each section at the end of the alloted time?

Does each section have to be done in order?

In Barron's and other practice tests, there is a sentence at the end of every section that says not to go on to the next section if you have time left over. Is this followed in the real PCAT? Can't we use that extra time to crack the next section?

And do the examiners announce that the time is up for that section?

Does the essay section need to be written in pen or pencil?

Are all essay questions as complex as they are in Harcourt's website?

I guess what I am asking for is what exactly am I going to face when I walk in that door to take the test....if someone could relate how the day goes....

Thanks in advance for all your replies.
 
A few answers...
The test is in one booklet. The administrators will read a bunch of rules before the test, and before each section. You are not supposed to work on any section preceeding or following the section you are told to work on. (That is the point of a timed test). The admins should tell you when time is up. I wrote my essay in pencil. I don't know what the practice essays look like, but don't expect anything impossible.
Good luck.
 
i second everything stated above.

with the essay, you need to know a little bit about the content, but what it really comes down to is how well you can form a structured essay. just read up in barron's or kaplan's suggestions about how to tackle the essay. they're not tough, you just need to form a solid argument on your stance.