New to Pre-Pharm

Started by saltyload
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

saltyload

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently attending University at Buffalo and will be done with the prereqs by spring 2009 and plan on applying after that.
some questions:
1)When should I take the PCAT and when should I apply (before or after taking PCAT, during summer, spring 2009?, etc.)
2)Since I attend UB, will I be able to apply for pharm school at St. Johns or any other place?
 
1. I think you should take the pcat in the summer. That way you can see how you scored and decide on which schools you should apply to since some schools set minimum percentiles they accept. Also if you didn't do as well as you liked, you can have a chance to retake the pcat again during the fall.

2. It does not matter which school you go to, as long as you complete the pre-reqs for the school you are applying to, it should be fine.
 
Here's what I would do:

If you're looking to start pharmacy school in Fall 2009, I would take the PCAT in August this year (if they still have that option available). That will give you the summer to study.

Apply as soon as applications come out this fall! The earlier you apply, the more competitive you are. Also, they take time with essays and everything, and the sooner you get done with them, the sooner you can relieve yourself of that stress!

The only downside to this is the fact that you won't be finishing prereqs until Spring 2009 and some of that may be on the PCAT. But it's very possible to still do well!

Doesn't matter if you take the PCAT before or after your applications are sent. Your score will be sent directly to all the schools you specify. However, they will not consider your application until it is complete, meaning the PCAT score has to be there.
 
What's with all these "new to pre-pharm" threads? There are plenty of current threads that address much of the same topics, and if you search around, you'll more than likely find the answers to your questions.