Nitrous oxide while pregnant

Started by hcj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hcj

Here we go...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a third year dental student and about 7 weeks pregnant. I haven't really told anyone at school yet. I am doing an oral surgery rotation next week and at our clinic this means open cubicles, not particularly well ventilated, and lots of nitrous. I know I probably shouldn't administer it to patients myself, however, I am wondering if I should just reschedule the entire rotation since I will be in very close proximity to it.
I asked my OB and he said he doesn't really know, but would write me a note excusing me, if necessary.
I am still a little in shock (but very happy) about the pregnancy and trying to figure this all out in a hurry. Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
HCJ
 
Do y'all not use the HVE hooked up to scavenge the NO2? I know it's not a foolproof method, but it's not like you'll be working in a cloud of NO2.

To err on the side of caution, it may be a good idea to reschedule when you're in your second trimester, or after delivery - if at all possible.
 
For the health of your baby, I would reschedule! Just think how sad you would feel if you had a miscarriage and you spend the rest of your life wondering if maybe it was related to the NO...