No show policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Attending1985

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious what others no-show policies are? I’m employed and our policy is three no-shows within a 12 month period and the provider can but doesn’t have to dismiss the patient. If others have similar policies, how often do you actually enforce them and dismiss patients for no-shows?
 
Curious what others no-show policies are? I’m employed and our policy is three no-shows within a 12 month period and the provider can but doesn’t have to dismiss the patient. If others have similar policies, how often do you actually enforce them and dismiss patients for no-shows?

My no-show policy is fairly simple. If someone fails to show up with less than 48 hours notice, they get charged the full session fee. Everyone gets one time waived as a courtesy. If someone has been my patient for years and is quite good about attendance and are in recent bad circumstances I might give them one or two more freebies. Hospitalization of self or a close family member gets a pass.

If someone no-shows and doesn't respond to attempts to reschedule them (I'll generally try like twice), then I discharge them. This really doesn't happen often at all!

EDIT:
I do have one patient who has been no-showing a lot recently and pays the fee without any complaint but I am fairly confident they are not in a financial position for this to not be a trivial expense for them. I do think I need to gently suggest that maybe they should see someone else if only for the sake of making rent consistently.
 
Last edited:
Cash practice policy is full appointment fee if <48h. I used to give 1x courtesy but some of the reasons were ridiculous like going skiing. Now I almost always charge except in rare cases of legit event.