x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ers_lovesmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
xx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If this is round two, were you able to get feedback on round one? How were your essays and LORs? Your background in engineering is great. I doubt schools will care about the barre training. I would get more hours since 100 isn't much, and if that's split over five settings, then you weren't in each one for long. I would try to add one more setting and stick with it for a bit. I don't see why you shouldn't apply now.

I appreciate any input on my chances!

I am a re-applicant. This is round 2. 27 years old, currently working in civil engineering (long story). I've been out of school for 4 years, and so I feel as though my college extra curriculars are somewhat irrelevant (but I'll mention them anyways). My job has moved me to 3 cities in the last 4 years, so while I've engaged in the community, it has been 3 different communities.

Undergrad: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Major: Biomedical Engineering (concentration in Biomechanics) and Biology dual degree
GPA 3.28 cumulative at RPI, 3.34 cumulative (includes courses taken after undergrad degree earned), 3.29 science
Last 60 credit hours of undergrad: 3.16 (higher if courses taken after undergrad degree earned are included)
GRE: 157V, 158Q, 3.5AW
Observation: 100+ hours in 5 settings
Undergrad Projects: Capstone was creating a prosthetic socket for a (hypothetical) transtibial amputee. Another completed project was creating a tool to analyze gait.
Unrelated Volunteer Experience: 300+ hours in hospitals, Tutoring extensively, Alpha Phi Omega in college, Nursing home for 1 year, currently at a welfare place
Athletics: 3-season Division 3 athlete throughout college, All-Academic Athlete

I am working on a barre certification right now so I can teach barre fitness classes in my spare time.

Should I wait until my application is beefier? Maybe after I become a barre instructor? Or improve my GRE? Also, what do you think makes me stand out? Thanks in advance.
Looks good. You are likely not competitive enough for state schools (but you need to check stats for their average students they accept) and those that accept 30-ish students. But there are plenty of schools that are less competitive, so consider each school stats for average student they accept.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is round two, were you able to get feedback on round one? How were your essays and LORs? Your background in engineering is great. I doubt schools will care about the barre training. I would get more hours since 100 isn't much, and if that's split over five settings, then you weren't in each one for long. I would try to add one more setting and stick with it for a bit. I don't see why you shouldn't apply now.
I wasn't able to get feedback on round 1. Good to know about barre. I will not focus on that, and instead focus on shadowing. Shadowing has been difficult because I work full time in engineering. I've accumulated hours shadowing about 6-10 hours a week. My shadowing is split as follows:
37 hours Ortho/Women's Health, 34 hours Ortho/Fitness Based, 33 hours Neuro, 8 hours SNF (took a day off work for this), 8 hours Peds (took a day off work for this). Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Looks good. You are likely not competitive enough for state schools (but you need to check stats for their average students they accept) and those that accept 30-ish students. But there are plenty of schools that are less competitive, so consider each school stats for average student they accept.
I figured. I will need to dig into the stats of the average student at each school. Thank you!