Nontrad shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheLadyVanishes

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm getting ready to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle. Regarding shadowing, I've skimmed the pre-allo threads and it seems like it's a good idea to shadow over a length of time.

Unfortunately, I had to cram in about 40 hours in multiple specialties in a few months and relatively late. I would have liked to do it differently but I had major problems finding MDs to shadow and literally spent months trying to set one up. Is this a red flag?

thanks!
 
It's fine. 40 hours of shadowing is about what adcoms expect. Volunteering looks much better when it is over a longer period of time, but so few hours of shadowing are needed that it doesn't really matter whether you do them over a week or a year.
 
I'm getting ready to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle. Regarding shadowing, I've skimmed the pre-allo threads and it seems like it's a good idea to shadow over a length of time.

Unfortunately, I had to cram in about 40 hours in multiple specialties in a few months and relatively late. I would have liked to do it differently but I had major problems finding MDs to shadow and literally spent months trying to set one up. Is this a red flag?

thanks!

As already stated above, in terms of shadowing it is not going to be a red flag for you. The most important thing that comes out of shadowing is that you have tried to get a sense of what a typical day is like as a physician. You should be fine.

Good luck!