This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spirospero363

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleting for privacy reasons! Thanks for advice

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ask UChicago to match whatever financial aid package you're getting from Northwestern. It seems like that's the only thing holding you back from going to UChicago from your write up, and UChicago is known to generous in terms of matching.

Otherwise both are obviously great schools, you'll have more opportunities than you can truly take advantage at either place.

Reactions: 1 users
Just giving some clarification regarding a couple of your cons for Pritzker:
-Limited early clinical exposure
There are opportunities to get clinical exposure through the free clinics throughout M1, and in M2 we spend the second half of the year going into the hospital weekly to interview a patient on our own and then presenting our patients to a faculty mentor. Shadowing opportunities are also a dime a dozen.
-Nearly bi-weekly exams from what I've heard
Exam frequency varies WILDLY by quarter. I think out of the ~7ish quarters in preclinical, only 2 of them have more frequent exams—other quarters are very reasonable. Biweekly exams are definitely not the norm.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong! It seems that vibes, cost, and curriculum are the biggest differentiators for you—you can definitely save money in living costs down in Hyde Park, and if you haven't already tried contacting scholarships/finaid at Pritzker, I would give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think overall those are relatively low debt burdens for medical school and the difference isn't gigantic. You can make the case for either school.

facing a similar dilemma! love the curriculum and structure at Feinberg and love the mission, people, and admin at Pritzker.

I suggest you Don’t use this relatively small cost difference as part of your decision. Do ask Pritzker to match the other offer.

Thank you so much for your input. I am curious why you account for $90K (accounting for interest) as a small cost difference? When going to NW would remove essentially a third of my debt?
Ignoring the 90k difference means extra paybacka, using a 20 year 6% loan, of $645 per month difference, equal to an extra $7740/year payment difference. If you are not doing primary care, I would think you could probably make accelerated principal payments to cut down on the total payback. This would be your cost difference. Again, via a request for a phone conversation, ask the other school to match it and do it quickly before April 30.

Yeah, it's a difficult choice... how do you think you'll end up deciding? :)
Hoping they magically merge into one institution this week...

Right now it is the opposite for me-- Pritzker would cost less to attend than Feinberg. Waiting to hear back from Feinberg about matching, and if they do I am every so slightly leaning towards them. From talking to students and faculty, there is a lot of opportunity to help bolster the health equity initiatives at NW and the ECMH sounds really great (the main pull for me). I also think there are enough people there who are passionate about social justice in medicine and I could find my community. That being said, I am flopping like a fish and have the warm fuzzy feeling about Pritzker.

Hoping they magically merge into one institution this week...

Right now it is the opposite for me-- Pritzker would cost less to attend than Feinberg. Waiting to hear back from Feinberg about matching, and if they do I am every so slightly leaning towards them. From talking to students and faculty, there is a lot of opportunity to help bolster the health equity initiatives at NW and the ECMH sounds really great (the main pull for me). I also think there are enough people there who are passionate about social justice in medicine and I could find my community. That being said, I am flopping like a fish and have the warm fuzzy feeling about Pritzker.
I think you would find Pritzker overall more social justice aware with higher participation amongst students.

with that said, starting from a lower point at Feinberg, you could help make bigger improvements in the program IF you can motivate and recruit other students. I get the feeling Oritzker has much more primary care interest though from their students which might be why. This can easily checked by looking at match lists and seeing the percent from each that do primary care.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to be late to the convo. All of your "pros" are right on the mark from my experience. As to your cons, I can't legit compare the SJ thing because I'm not at Pritzker (actually didn't even apply there, and can't remember why) but while the main NW hospital is indeed in a very nice part of town, ECMH is as amazing as you seem to have heard and I'd say almost all of the clinics are in areas that serve a disadvantaged population. Have never felt lost in the crowd; never a lack of someone willing to help or advise. Each class is split into about 5 "colleges" so you're immediately in an affinity group of about 30 which really helps while you're getting your footing the first few months and beyond. Streeterville isn't the cheapest place to live in Chicago, but by third year a lot of folks drift north to cheaper and more "neighborhoodly" environs. Can't speak to your vibe thing, since it's so personal. But it was also important to me and the very positive vibe during both interview and second look (really sorry you couldn't experience those in person) was the biggest reason Feinberg got the nod over a bunch of others.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.