NSU KPCOM Certificate in Health Professional Preparation Program (CHPP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bruce Wayne

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just finished the CHPP program at Nova KPCOM and wanted to share my thoughts on this program having finished it about 2 weeks ago. The program is relatively unknown at this stage, but I hope I can shed more light on my experiences.

This was a fair program designed to matriculate its students into the medical school. Following 16 exams (8 midterm exams 8 final exams) across 2 semesters, I can confidently say that for the most part the program does want its students to succeed and provides the necessary resources to achieve just that. At this point, I am NOT aware of how many students finished above a 3.6 GPA in the program (we took finals 2 weeks ago); however I do have reason to assume that number is ~ to less than half of the students in the program. In fact the number is likely closer to 20/80 students rather than 40/80 students [More on this below].
  • These are numbers based on the number of students who attended Group Advising Sessions. Part of our program requirements include a MANDATORY advising session with the Director of the program. However, if you are a student above the 3.6 GPA, you are welcome to opt out of individual advising and instead sign up for GROUP advising.
  • Attendance at these opt-out group sessions were about 20 students in total. While certain students who were above the 3.6 cutoff may have opted for individual advising sessions, I cannot imagine this was a significant number. (DISCLAIMER: This is purely my speculation) --> I am happy to share outcomes on our program once interviews are complete.
  • These sessions took place prior to finals.
  • There is a curve applied to final grades, so there may certainly be far more students ahead of the 3.6 cutoff than my speculations.
One of the fears I had going into this program was that because they doubled the class size from the year prior (~40 last year to ~80 this year), a lower percentage of students would finally matriculate into the following year’s DO class. I will not know these numbers for sure until June. Overall, I felt that the program director and faculty responsible for teaching us did indeed want to see every student matriculating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The single biggest lesson I learned in CHPP is that it is OKAY to reach out for help when needed.

Whether it is this program or medical school in general I spent some time to think about what I advise someone entering CHPP to keep in mind in order to achieve their full potential.

Here is a list of those things

1. Master the use of SPACED REPETITION – Anki
  • This is not essential - many of my classmates used study styles that were more tailored to their strengths. Be yourself and do not worry about what others are doing.
  • From personal experience, I experimented with a couple study strategies before settling with Anki as the most efficient use of my time. Again you CAN be successful for sure without using it. I just personally loved the Anki algorithm directing my review time without me having to consciously plan it out.
  • There are a ton of youtube videos med students have put out detailing how to use Anki. It is not a user friendly platform --> there is definitely a learning curve to it. Your first semester classes are a tad lighter than second semester so you will have time to become more and more proficient.
2. Have a structured schedule – fairly straight-forward but plan out your tasks the night before for the following day.
  • I just used the notes app on my phone to do this
3. Go to EVERY OFFICE HOURS and ASK QUESTIONS
  • The reason this is important is because in Medical School they throw SO MUCH information at you to study each class. But in order to filter out which material will actually be tested/emphasized on exams it is ESSENTIAL TO ASK PROFESSORS!
  • For the most part the faculty is really welcoming to this and truly embody that "open-door" policy. Do not underestimate the value in doing this either --> these same faculty members are more likely than not going to interview you if needed. It is better to demonstrate your interest and passion and make an impression before then.

4. This one is hard but – FIND A WORK-LIFE BALANCE. I am admittedly not great at this. But do not undervalue the need to find time to exercise and practice efficient ERGONOMICS while you study. Do NOT let your health deteriorate for the purpose of success in medical school

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some advice I would give by course

Physiology - For now, Nova likes to use a video bank called Lecturio to design their physiology curriculum. Lecturio as a platform is very hit or miss in general, however for physiology I would say it was fairly high yield for exam preparation. Each video is supplemented with practice questions. Do those questions and continue reviewing old content in the weeks leading up to exams and you should build a solid foundation. Often times professors will provide end of lecture "Take-home" questions or present questions in class that are fairly representative of the type of questions you will see on exams. Obviously if there are unfair exam questions, there is a fairly efficient challenge system. Some professors also like highlighting high yield information in certain colors (like red text). Definitely commit those things to memory!

Anatomy - Anki Anki Anki. But seriously it is simply the most efficient way to learn Anatomy. 100% discrete rote memorization. Do what works for you like I said before, but it is a LOT of info so be wary of that. There is an application the school provides called "Complete Anatomy." Using this 3D model will certainly supplement your studies as you go along. Youtube videos probably help too. But again, nothing beats anki. Lecturio Anatomy content is frustrating to deal with at times - the diagrams are not very useful. But thankfully the anatomy curriculum relies far less on Lecturio than Physiology.

Biochemistry will have a different professor next year so I cannot give advice on that course. Our class found biochemistry fairly straight-forward (and frankly easier than your average undergraduate level Biochem). However this can certainly change moving forward so do not take it lightly.

Genetics was frustrating to study for. The content was straightforward and simple, however our professor did not properly guide us to prepare for finals efficiently. Our class averages were still decent but generally, preparing for genetics was more stress than it was worth.

Microbiology (2nd semester Course) - This is a level up from your first semester course load. Way more content to get through than genetics or biochem. At this point you need to be fairly comfortable with whatever study strategy you employed in your first semester. Dr. Gregg is an excellent professor (and course director), but he will not go easy on you. Stay persistent and dedicated and you will succeed. A lot to memorize, easy to fall behind but with the right strategy you will succeed. Also, he provides practice questions in class - DO THOSE and understand his question style.

Immunology (2nd semester Course) - In my opinion this will be the hardest course of the program. But it is a beautiful course at the same time. Very fun to learn and experience. Dr. Gregg was also course director for this course. I liken learning Immunology to learning a new language. I guess that will make more sense as you go through it. Everything you learn is cumulative. Do not just dispose of information after the midterm. His slides are sometimes hard to follow, however if you attend his OFFICE HOURS or listen to those recordings, you should be fine. He filters out what you need to know for exams fairly well (ESPECIALLY for MICROBIO). Our midterm averages were great but our final exam average is likely our lowest exam average of the program. There is no sugar coating it --> this is a difficult class. But stay consistent and you will be fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Brown, the course director has a vested interest in seeing EVERYONE succeed. As my fellow classmate mentioned above, she is presenting research at a conference detailing outcomes from students in our program. It is easy to be cynical but trust their intentions, work hard and you will see the fruit of your labor.

I hope this helped everyone! I had a great time in CHPP and made great bonds.

I have attached the program flyer sheet below.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• CHPP Program Sheet 2022.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
Reactions: 1 users
I encourage students to also utilize such guaranteed med school matriculation programs.

Reactions: 1 user