NY Hunter, Temple, ...?

Started by sweetsaja
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sweetsaja

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. Here's some info about me:

Grades:
I'm a currently a junior w/ a 3.225 GPA. Maybe I can raise it ~3.3 by the time I graduate. I'm a Biology, Psychology major...completed all pre-reqs. Upward trend.

MCAT:
I'm taking Kaplan over the summer and taking the MCAT in aug before my senior year.

EC:
I'm involved in a prehealth group and will be a national member senior year. I have lots of volunteering, fundraising, walks, med school visit, etc experience from that. I have lots of volunteer hours at a hospital. I have leadership experience where I'm like a teacher for all the kids under 15 at my religious center and make them do volunteer activities, religious education, teach them things like cooking/handicrafts, workshops on preteen-teen issues, plan extracurricular activities for them, etc. I also was in Habitat for Humanity and helped build a greenhouse for a school. In addition, I have a few other extracurriculars. I will start shadowing next month.
I'm doing research all summer and during my senior year...possibility of a publication.

Plan:
1. I could attend Hunter for post bacc for 1 year ('09-'10) and take upper level science classes. I'm just worried that it will only raise my GPA to ~3.4 and I don't know if that will help me get into med school. Anyone have any success applying to med school w/ a similar GPA after attending Hunter?


2. I could also do the Temple post bacc. however, that would require about a 2 hour commute which I'm willing to do if it really would be useful to me. They say they will admit you to the med school if you maintain a 3.5 GPA, 30 MCAT. Does anybody know the difficulty level of the post bacc...is it taught w/med student?

Which option one would you choose and why? Or, do you have any other suggestions?? Thank you soooo much for your help!!