NYC IM programs

Started by cardigan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cardigan

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the various NYC Internal Medicine residency programs? I am specifically looking at Cornell, Columbia, Mt Sinai, and NYU. My take so far:

Cornell:
cons= very private, subspecialty oriented.
pros= beautiful new hospital. nice housing, of course. i like the idea of specialty wards.

Columbia:
cons= i don't speak spanish. relatively poor ancillary services.
pros= two attending system, diverse clinical experience, social mission

Mt Sinai:
cons= ????
pros= warm atmosphere, benign internship experience. diversity of elmhurst experience. everyone seems very happy.

NYU:
cons= poor ancillary services, residents hate all-private months at tisch. considered to be academically weaker than other NYC programs (for whatever that's worth).
pros= train at bellevue! diversity of experiences.

My gut feeling is with Sinai, but I don't know if that's based on unreliable factors. I'm very tempted by the perks of Cornell. But I'd appreciate any other views on these or other NYC programs.