operations statistics

Started by usr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

usr

New Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello

does anyone have statistics about the frequency of each surgical operation performed and also statistics about the emergency operations?

thanks
 
Your question is a little general and broad.

Do you mean by country? By state? By hospital?

Which specialty are you looking at? All surgical fields?

By "emergency" operations, do you mean procedures performed in the ER, or those done on an emergent basis?

If you give us more details it'll be easier to answer your question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mean by country? By state? By hospital?
anything available would be useful

Which specialty are you looking at? All surgical fields?

yeap, at all surgical fields

By "emergency" operations, do you mean procedures performed in the ER, or those done on an emergent basis?

those done on an emergent basis (I dont mean the emergency surgical procedures, but the surgery operations that are out of schedule)

thanks
 
the one mentioned just above the answer you quote

I think what BADMD meant was, what's the purpose of your questioning?

Writing a paper?
Preparing a presentation?
Just curious?

Knowing your intentions will help others direct you.
 
I am preparing some kind of paper, but I am also very curious as well
 
Well it would probably help if you discussed exactly what you're looking at. Otherwise, your questions are very vague.

Initially, put down your research questions - would you like to compare different US states? Various hospitals? The US vs. other countries? Academic vs. community hospital? Urban vs. inner-city vs. suburban hospital?

Emergent vs. urgent vs. elective cases?

All surgical fields combined? Broken down by category?

Last 12 months? Last 5 years? Last 10?

We need more background!
 
Well it would probably help if you discussed exactly what you're looking at. Otherwise, your questions are very vague.

He's being vague on purpose. My solution: Ignore him.

We shouldn't be SO eager to help people on this forum that we are willing to play these little games of "guess what I'm asking," especially when the usual reason that they're being vague (when it finally comes out) is something annoying.......
 
Well it would probably help if you discussed exactly what you're looking at. Otherwise, your questions are very vague.

Initially, put down your research questions - would you like to compare different US states? Various hospitals? The US vs. other countries? Academic vs. community hospital? Urban vs. inner-city vs. suburban hospital?

Emergent vs. urgent vs. elective cases?

All surgical fields combined? Broken down by category?

Last 12 months? Last 5 years? Last 10?

We need more background!

I really dont think there are data for all these you are mentioning, anyway I need current (a graph of the latest years would be ok if it exists) statistics of USA hospitals

I found ofcourse all the top google results like those mentioned in #3 post, but I doubt there is the full operations spectrum there

I can find some stray statistics here and there, but not a complete source of statistics about all the operations that occur in USA every year, which are performed under emergency/urgent (I dont get this distinction you make) conditions and which are scheduled, etc

I am not asking to make a google search for me, I am just asking IF someone on the forums has already collected this data or knows a good place to find it
 
I really dont think there are data for all these you are mentioning, anyway I need current (a graph of the latest years would be ok if it exists) statistics of USA hospitals

I found ofcourse all the top google results like those mentioned in #3 post, but I doubt there is the full operations spectrum there

I can find some stray statistics here and there, but not a complete source of statistics about all the operations that occur in USA every year, which are performed under emergency/urgent (I dont get this distinction you make) conditions and which are scheduled, etc

I am not asking to make a google search for me, I am just asking IF someone on the forums has already collected this data or knows a good place to find it

I'm not sure you'll find that information. For example, when I code for an appendectomy there is not a code for whether or not it is emergent...although there is a code for perforated appy. Similarly, there is not a code for emergent splenectomy but there is one for traumatic splenectomy (which could be construed as emergent). Same for C-Sxns - you just won't know if they're planned or emergency.

So I think the best you'll find will be estimates but not real numbers.