Organizational tips?

Started by jinx520
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jinx520

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried this thread in the non-trad forum, but nobody answered. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for organizing their household in order to make school/work easier and maximize their time?

I have a chore chart for the kids on a white board stuck to my kitchen cabinet. I grouped the chores according to zones and made a magnet of each chore group. We rotate chores monthly. I also used to plan my menus weekly and cook extra during the week so I could freeze the meals for hectic days, but since I started working I haven't had much time to keep that up.

I also use my smartphone to keep track of events such as when certain bills are due or appointments, but I hate the Windows Mobile calendar. I used to use a Palm; loved it b/c you could color-code the events, but I haven't figured out how to color code with the Windows mobile. I've ended up missing appointments b/c now every day on my calendar is blue.

As for laundry, I invested in a large-capacity washer and dryer. Gets the job done quickly and I love it, but I haven't figured out a system for putting the clothes away quickly and so we always have a mountain of clean clothes at the bottom of my closet.

Anyone else have anything they would like to share?
 
heyy jinx ^ ^ well, i was about to say, "buy less". after all... the less you have, the less organizing's needed. but, since you have kids and i don't.......... i'll just keep my mouth shut 😀
 
Downsize, and then use lots of plastic boxes. They don´t have to be organized inside, but as long as common things are grouped together, you´ll be able to find them, and the stacks look orderly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just outsource the ironing.
I do the laundry myself, but I just cannot find the energy to spend time ironing everything. I used to end up with baskets full of clean wrinkled clothes and nothing ready to put on in the morning. Now I just bring the baskets to an ironing service and for a small fee I can pick them up ironed the next day.

When you have time to cook during the weekend, think BIG. Making a large amount of food doesn't take any longer than making a little. Make 3 times as much as your family normally eats, and freeze the leftovers for 2 future meals. Invest in XL pots and pans for this.
 
I do increased workloads at school to finish my bachelors a year early, I own an in home daycare, I take care of the house and I have a 4 year old with BOUNDLESS energy. I feel your pain...lol.

I swear by my dry erase board. It is a really big one. I update it weekly with school assignments, upcoming tests etc. I have another section on the board for misc items like "call doctor blablabla" or whatever is needed. I have a small journal that I turned into a dayplanner and I scribble notes in it.

My daughter helps put away laundry...it is great when they help.

I use plastic bins to organize stuff for the munchkins which also makes it easier when I tell them to put it away because they know it has a specific spot. Think of ways to divide up shelfs or cabinets more. Throw away DVD/Bluray cases and just save the discs in a folder. That saves a lot of room which can be turned into effective storage room.

Preplan activities..have the items out the night before and things like that.

crockpot meals are awesome, they make a lot of food which can be reheated and they are easy

If you can buy in bulk do it, that helps me cause I don't run out of things and I can make large portions which turns into left overs. That and I am cheap hehe, I love to save money and with kids that is needed.