PCAT Advice Needed

Started by smbrow14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smbrow14

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, my name is Stephen and this is my first post here. I've been reading the posts on this forum as well as using the forum's search function but I haven't been able to find the answers to my specific questions. Hopefully someone will be able to assist me! First I would like to give a little bit of background information about myself.

I'm currently in my 3rd year of college (I'll be a senior in two weeks!) and I'm majoring in Social Science. I've been working at CVS/pharmacy for the past year and recently took and passed the PTCE. My plan has always been to finish the social science degree and then become a teacher. I've been thinking about this a lot (as well as discussing it with others) and I've decided to give pharmacy a shot. I'm still pursuing the SS degree (as a "backup") but I'm adding an additional year to my schooling in order to meet the pre-pharmacy requirements of the schools I plan on applying to.

My first question is, which (science/math) courses/areas are crucial to have taken prior to taking the PCAT? From what I've read, the test is very focused on biology, calculus, and organic chemistry. I plan on taking the PCAT in Fall 2007 which gives me enough time to complete everything excepting Calculus 2 and Organic Chemistry 2 (which I'll be taking that same semester). I'm worried that I won't be exposed to content that will appear on the test. Is a semester each of Organic Chemistry and Calculus enough to be prepared for the PCAT?

Secondly, I've worked out a possible school schedule where I can finish all of the pre-pharmacy courses by Spring of 2008, and then take the PCAT that June. From what I've read the June PCAT is easier than the one offered in October. I have no idea how true this is, but I've seen it mentioned more than once by more than one person. With the schedule the way I have it, I would only be taking 2 classes (with 2 labs) in Spring 2008, giving me a lot of spare time to work through some sort of review book. However, this will also make it so I'll be applying for Fall 2009 admission and that is a very long way off! I'm thinking this may be my best option, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Finally, to those of you who got this far, thank you for reading my long-winded post 😀
 
smbrow14 said:
My first question is, which (science/math) courses/areas are crucial to have taken prior to taking the PCAT? From what I've read, the test is very focused on biology, calculus, and organic chemistry. I plan on taking the PCAT in Fall 2007 which gives me enough time to complete everything excepting Calculus 2 and Organic Chemistry 2 (which I'll be taking that same semester). I'm worried that I won't be exposed to content that will appear on the test. Is a semester each of Organic Chemistry and Calculus enough to be prepared for the PCAT?
You really don't need Organic Chemistry 2 to complete the chemistry section of the PCAT. Most (if not all) of the organic on there is basic information that should be taught during your first semester of organic.

As for calculus, I'm not sure what your calc I class covers and doesn't cover. Most people do fine with just calc I, but I would suggest looking over some review books pertaining to the calculus that's presented on the PCAT just to make sure that you're adequately prepared.

All of this, of course, is contingent on Harcourt not changing the forumla of the test for these sub-sections. Hopefully that won't happen in the course of a year, but you'll probably want to keep yourself up-to-date.

Secondly, I've worked out a possible school schedule where I can finish all of the pre-pharmacy courses by Spring of 2008, and then take the PCAT that June. From what I've read the June PCAT is easier than the one offered in October.
I don't think the PCAT is easier during a certain month. The only thing that changes is the number of people who take it. Less people take it during the summer than they do during the fall, so that can have either a positive or negative effect on your score. There was a post sometime ago about this that you might want to look up if you're interested.

Hope that helped, and good luck with everything!
 
The question I have for you is which would you like to pursue MORE? Getting a Social Science Degree may be fine and dandy, but if you are looking for 2009 admission to pharmacy school, why so far off? At this point, you have probably fulfilled all of your general ed requirements (English, social science, etc). My advise is to choose one or the other - If you choose pharmacy, take all of those science pre-reqs now. One piece of advise - Since you have four semesters of Chem, you better get started soon. One semester I took General Chem II and Organic Chem I at the same time, some professors will let you do this although technically you have not met the pre-reqs at the time (General Chem has nothing to do with Organic Chemistry).

Furthermore, at most institutions, these science courses could either apply to your electives, or if you have expended all of them, be converted into a General Studies Degree. Let's face it, a Social Science Degree is such a general degree anyway, obtaining that or a General Studies puts you in the same boat after graduation anyway. I have a general economics degree, and could teach if I wanted to, but finding a "real job" has been difficult for me since graduating 5 years ago. I am choosing pharmacy now because I am tired of being labeled as an Admin Assistant and making $30K a year. That may be fine in the 1950's but not now.

If you want to teach, that is very admirable, but pharmacy is very different. The biggest is the pay. Being a tech like you, I see what a pharmacist does everyday, and it is not the greatest job in the world, but for the money, I wouldn't mind doing it. Also, as a teacher, you have homework by making lesson plans and grading papers and tests. With pharmacy, when you clock out, you are done! But the final decision rests with you.