PCAT changing to computer format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinksparkly

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received an email from Pearson asking me if I wanted to try to get one of the October seats allotted for computer administration. By July 2011, all PCATs will be administered in this way.

I really hope I did well enough to not have to take it again. I strongly prefer the paper-and-pencil format to the computer-based one.
 
I wonder if this will shorten the time it takes for the test? Also, I'm wondering if it will allow individuals to get their scores quicker.
 
I'm with you guys...I got it too offering to test it out for the October PCAT. I took the June one, but am not registered for the October one. I hope they're not trying to tell me something!! 😀

I doubt things will get graded any faster as long as they have the essay portion. Plus, I feel badly for folks that do not know how to type as the essays will now need to be typed in! I couldn't imagine that pressure....30 minutes for an essay, plus having to hunt and peck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my opinion it's about time! I know the MCAT for sure is already completely computerized. From my experience taking the paper PCAT, I think it would be way easier to do it on the computer...your hand won't get sore from filling in the bubbles and firing out two essays in 60 minutes!

And like someone else mentioned maybe it will expedite the score reporting process.

I'm likin' it. But, I'm still glad I don't have to take it again 😉
 
I took the June one and got this email as well. I wonder if Pearson chose from people who took the June one? I'd imagine that they'd want to ask you questions afterwards about what your experience of taking the computerized test was like and what needs to be improved, but if this is the case, I would think that they'd choose people who did well as well as poorly on the PCAT. I got an 84 composite in January and I thought that in June, I did better, except for the reading section. (totally slept through it or something)
 
Reminds me of those days when I took the PTCB it was also computerized. I like computerized test better than paper and pencil. At my University for all our chem,bio, and math test are all computerized and we get scratch paper. Grades are posted instantly after the test.

On the other hand it's a bad news for the essay and reading part. It will be a problem for people who type slow but for me the reading section is my weakness and reading off of the computer screen slows you reading speed. Its easier to read on paper because then you can underline and mark on it.

I wonder if they will give you white boards and markers for the chem and math section? On the PTCB exam they gave us those.
 
I took the June one and got this email as well. I wonder if Pearson chose from people who took the June one? I'd imagine that they'd want to ask you questions afterwards about what your experience of taking the computerized test was like and what needs to be improved, but if this is the case, I would think that they'd choose people who did well as well as poorly on the PCAT.
No cause I'm taking the August one and I also got the email. I've never taken the PCAT before. The people were chosen randomly, see, from the pearson website:

"Latest PCAT News! Register soon if you are going to take the October 16, 2010, PCAT!

Pearson will soon be contacting randomly selected U.S.-based candidates to participate in the first PCAT computer-based administration."
 
Just went through the "survey"...says you have to be registered for the October PCAT by July 14th in order to be eligible for the computer testing. Not thinking they'll have our June scores back to us by then, so I won't know if I have to take it in October....guess I'll be paper and pencil again!
 
I got the email too.

Yeah, I wish if you took the CBT it was instant results on everything but the essay.

I will be sticking with paper and pencil as well b/c I won't have my scores back in time either.

By my calculations, looking at when people got their Jan 2010 scores in the mail and reported that they got them to the SDN forum, we should be seeing the reports in our mailboxes starting around Jul 23rd (Friday) and most of us should have them by July 29th. I can hope that the June showing was smaller and perhaps it will go faster, but I am not hoping too hard.
 
Full e-mail says

• No additional registration fees will be charged for taking the CBT version.
The Registration Fee is the same as the paper-based test registration fee.
• Scores for both paper-and-pencil and CBT versions will be mailed during the same time frame.
• The same guidelines and rules for the paper-and-pencil version of the PCAT apply to the CBT version.
• Internet access, spell check, and online calculators will be prohibited during the CBT administration.
• You will be required to type your essay responses for the CBT version.
• The CBT version of the PCAT will be administered at preselected Pearson VUE testing centers
But then if you think about it, they do need people to read the essays. & MCATs have been computerized for some time and they still take around a month to give scores back...
 
Am happy they are going computerized it saves you the time of not bubbling in the answer, that saves at least 3 minutes form every section. And its also a huge advantage for people who write really sloppy on the essays like me, now I can type it at even a faster speed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the June PCAT and got this email too. When I clicked the link to find the nearest testing center, the link was broken. I emailed Pearson about the link but haven't heard back. I live in a remote location, so I want to find out where the center is before I commit to it. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'd rather take the computerized version, so I decided to fill out the survey and tell them I'm interested - only to find out that you have to be registered for the Oct test before you can complete the survey, and the survey has to be filled out by July 14th. It also said that just b/c we filled out the survey, we might not be chosen for the computerized test. I'm hoping that I do well enough in June and/or Aug to not have to take the Oct test. What to do...
 
Last edited:
For me, it is the math that is weird on the computer. It takes time for me to rewrite the problem, solve it, etc. I just can't do it in my head.

Also, I like to skip questions that I don't know and go back to difficult questions/questions involving lengthy calculations at the end of the test. When I took the practice PCATs online form Pearson, skipping around was more difficult. It is super time-consuming to click back to question three when you are on question forty-eight.

I wouldn't register for August or October until I have my June results, so hopefully paper and pencil is the only format I will encounter.
 
When I first read the email I initially thought it was a great idea and I wished the August one would be on a computer... but the more I think about it, taking it on a computer sucks for everything except the essays. I will say that my essays would definitely be way better. I like to think as I write, and edit as I narrow things down. Not really possible while writing by hand. Plus typing would be a million times faster for me. But for everything else, computerized would be a pain. Like someone else mentioned, I HATE having to rewrite math problems on a piece of paper, but I really have to. I can't do it in my head. Same for any section where you cross off answers you immediately know or wrong, underline key words, etc. I think a lot of people (myself included) really like that type of interacting you get with your plain old pencil and paper exam. And I remember that on the Pearson practice exam the reading comprehension was such a pain because you had to keep scrolling down to a question, then up to the passage, then down to a question, and of course you couldn't underline anything or make any markings for yourself. Another big issue someone mentioned is skipping problems. For the PCAT I think for most people it's really vital that you skip around and do the ones you know you can do quickly first. On the pearson practice exams it is such a pain to click through and figure out which ones you skipped.

On a side note, that's absolutely ridiculous if the scores won't ever get mailed any sooner. But I'm assuming that is just for exams where there are some people taking them on a computer and some people taking them the old-fashion way. It would be unfair for some people to receive their scores weeks later just because there are no new testing centers available to them. I think eventually they will all be taken on a computer (like the MCAT, GRE, DAT, etc) and then hopefully you would get results much faster.
 
On a side note, that's absolutely ridiculous if the scores won't ever get mailed any sooner. But I'm assuming that is just for exams where there are some people taking them on a computer and some people taking them the old-fashion way. It would be unfair for some people to receive their scores weeks later just because there are no new testing centers available to them. I think eventually they will all be taken on a computer (like the MCAT, GRE, DAT, etc) and then hopefully you would get results much faster.

I think they need to just take the essay out. Seriously, no one cares about the score from it or takes it seriously. My pharmacy school that I'm hoping to get into makes everyone write an essay for 1/2 an hour during the interview anyway. The fact that they make us write two essays and one is experimental and doesn't even count is beyond BS. That way we could get the scores instantly, like how the DAT is scored.
 
I think having the pcat as a computerized test seems to me more of a disadvantage for several reason,


  • skipping around on a computer test is much harder, where at one glance you can see all the problems on the paper format
  • you have to remember which problem you skipped or have to write it down (going back and forth through pages wastes seconds)
  • As someone mentioned math could be a problem because you would have to rewrite the problem again to solve it
  • reading comprehension could also be a problem because you can't underline or mark on the passage
  • reading speed actually slows down when reading off of the computer screen as opposed to paper. You could also lose track easily.
  • Computer could crash, freeze, burn out,...etc🙄 Most unlikely but could happen
  • Scores don't come back any faster nor do we get instant results
The only advantage I see is that the essays would be more legible to read because it's typed, but who cares it seems to me that everyone makes 3's on them anyways.

I hope Pearson reconsiders and goes back to paper format, for a timed test I think its a much better testing format because you can mark directly on the test.
 
Am happy they are going computerized it saves you the time of not bubbling in the answer, that saves at least 3 minutes form every section. And its also a huge advantage for people who write really sloppy on the essays like me, now I can type it at even a faster speed.

My thoughts exactly.