PCAT Essay Evidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nonzerosum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone

I was doing the Practice essays and I keep getting stuck on supporting my arguments and making conclusions.

for eg. if I discussing a solution to the problem of poor quality of education?

how would I support ANY of my arguments?

eg. standardlized tests or more textbook how would I support or provide evidence for that.

thanks
 
Hi everyone

I was doing the Practice essays and I keep getting stuck on supporting my arguments and making conclusions.

for eg. if I discussing a solution to the problem of poor quality of education?

how would I support ANY of my arguments?

eg. standardlized tests or more textbook how would I support or provide evidence for that.

thanks


idk... but i dont think it should be your argument at all. if you don't know why you are using it and how to justify it, you shouldn't be using it

im just BSing here cuz i dont really have a solution lol, for lets say i want to blame the poor quality on unqualified teachers, then you can just justify your solution by saying, certain schools due to budget cuts are forced to layoff many qualified teachers, blah blah, as an result, the quality of education has decreased, blah blah, one way to solve this problem is to give school more money so they get the right tools for the job, blah blah

just some random stuff
 
Hey,

Sorry to go off on a tangent but is there a pool of essay topics for the PCAT? I know GRE has an entire book on that. Maybe flipping thru that book might help.

Thanks!
 
This is exactly what threw me off the first time I took the PCAT. The writing prompt is really just about you reasoning through a problem. For instance, in the particular example you provided, you can say, "one reason is because teachers do not get paid as well as they should. If a teacher is not getting paid as well as he/she should, they might not be as enthusiastic during their lecture which might make students less likely to absorb the information in a positive way". You get the idea? It's all about you way of thinking...

since the writing portion does not get factored into the composite score, don't really make a big fuss about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the concept of incentivization can be used to build around for almost any of the essay answers. it's why people do things after all...if you think in those terms and support your points it will be hard to shoot too many holes in your arguments unless they are totally off the wall
 
I wonder the same thing that is there any PCAT essay bank book?
I understand there would be some kind of questions that ask for your own idea/opinion, definitely NOT right/wrong answers..
But still in some topics to practice though...any suggestions please?
Thanks.