PCAT HELP regarding OCHEM rxns

Started by DavisAggie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DavisAggie

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys

I was wondering if those who took the PCAT could please help me with this question. Is it necessary for me to memorize all the OCHEM rxns incluiding Hydroboration, Ozonolysis, Potassium Permanganate Oxidation? In the pract tests that I have taken, I didn't see any examples of these.

Please help me SOMEONE!
THANKS
 
Those weren't on the August one, but it doesn't mean they won't be in the future. I don't know if this was true of your o.chem class, but the reactions you mentioned were barely touched on. Seems like concentrating on the reactions your class spent the most time on are probably the best bets.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should be comfortable with these reactions I think. Keep in mind there are only eight (?) organic questions in the chem section. I would categorize the o chem questions as basic and not that hard but I really liked organic and most people don't!
 
I took the pcat in june, I dont remember anything like that on the test. However, I drank heavily afterward. But, these reactions should be stored to memory which can be slightly confusing at times but I would really recomend those be stored to memory just to pass the tests in Ochem I.

Hardest part for myself was the chem. Mainly because it was gen chem that I had not went over to my liking.