PCAT Materials plz help!

Started by Masongal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Masongal

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone plz tell me the ones who actually took the real PCAT already?
in the chemistry section approximately how many questions are organic? is it only organic one or is it orgo 2 also?

for the math section is it very complicated calculus material there? if you know the basic calc u are fine or???


any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you read all these sub-forums, you will find your answer.
Most people will post their pcat score and their method of studying.
If you click on the January 2009 PCAT subforum or other actual dated subforum you will have members who excelled in their PCAT score and will most likely provide their method for studying.

I got a high percentage of quantitative... but.. quantitative subjects have never been that difficult for me. It will be best to ask another, who studied hard for it and got a sufficient score.

However, I got a 96% on my biology section. I did this by going through EVERY biology question in EVERY PCAT book available at Barnes and Nobles. Trust me 👍. It helps a lot.
 
Chemistry: Total of 48 questions. I am unsure what percentage was orgo but it was a decent percentage (20-25% I'm thinking on the Jan 09 test). I would say it is pretty much all orgo 1 stuff. I've heard people say that there was 1 or 2 orgo 2 questions but I don't recall seeing any orgo 2 questions.

Math: Not complicated calc. All calc 1 stuff. In my calc class, we focused on straightforward problems. Find dx of ______. The pcat has these types of questions but also includes word problems that ask the same concepts but in a different format. So you'd want to understand what a line tanget to a curve means for example or what to do to find the area under a curve. Not hard, but I'd suggest using your calc textbook and looking fo these type word problems. Don't forget that it's not all calc. There are some basic math, algebra, precalc questions as well. Everyone seems to focus on the calc and forget to review / study these other areas. Practice, Practice, Practice or you WILL run out of time. Strongly suggest Schaum's Outlines for Precalculus and Schaum's OUtlines for College Algebra.

Hope this helps.

Search the other PCAT threads, there are many other similar posts with greatanswers to your qustions.
 
What really helped me granted this probably won't work for everyone, but hey any suggestion should help right?

Verbal was pretty bad for me, but I heard that you should probably make use of a GRE book for vocabulary and what not.

Reading Comprehension - buy scientific magazines or just read tons of articles on like current health issues...I improved my score like 10 points just by reading a lot.

For the Sciences - BORROW A KAPLAN MCAT BOOK FROM A FRIEND!!! TRUST ME THIS WORKS...the MCAT books go into a lot more detail than the PCAT book (my scores went up 20 points). But don't do use the MCAT book for organic chemistry. The last couple of questions on the Chemistry section are organic and they are VERY basic questions like naming stuff and basic substitution, addition, and elimination reactions. Just use a textbook for Organic and make sure that you practice reaction problems.

For Math - You just have to work on your timing...the thing is is you have only 40 minutes to do 48 questions. And because this section involves ALL computations it takes time. So work on your speed...do time drills on basic math skills and you should be fine.

All in all, your mentality on the PCAT as you go into the test also affects your ability. Try not to stress out because you'll definitely get more nervous. And because the test is soo early do something to get your brain motivated. The day of the test I actually went for a mile-run and was so refreshed and was ready to take the test. I scored around a 63 composite the first time, and after changing some of my study habits and the run and what not, I scored a 79.

HOPE THAT HELPS!!! Good Luck!🙂
 
Last edited: