PCAT: Periodic Table

Started by xtsukiyox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xtsukiyox

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for those who have taken the PCAT.

Somehow, luckily or unluckily, I have managed to make it through 4 college chem courses without being required to have memorized the periodic table, or really much of anything off of it. (OK, I know a bit about oxygen, carbon, etc. - you almost have to for OChem, but there was always a periodic table poster on the wall.)

I'm noticing that on several of the PCAT practice tests on the books I have, it assumes that you know a lot about the periodic table - masses, series, etc. Is this the case for the PCAT? Should I spend time trying to learn masses & such? Or just maybe memorize the alkali metals / alkali earth metals? Or just the first couple rows...?? :scared:

On a related note - Should I reload the charges for common compounds from gen chem into my brain (nitrate, sulfate, etc.)? Ironically, I didn't have to remember these for any college classes, just for high school chem. :laugh:

Thank you for your responses... Everything else I have to remember / relearn seems surmountable, except this.
 
I have a question for those who have taken the PCAT.

Somehow, luckily or unluckily, I have managed to make it through 4 college chem courses without being required to have memorized the periodic table, or really much of anything off of it. (OK, I know a bit about oxygen, carbon, etc. - you almost have to for OChem, but there was always a periodic table poster on the wall.)

I'm noticing that on several of the PCAT practice tests on the books I have, it assumes that you know a lot about the periodic table - masses, series, etc. Is this the case for the PCAT? Should I spend time trying to learn masses & such? Or just maybe memorize the alkali metals / alkali earth metals? Or just the first couple rows...?? :scared:

On a related note - Should I reload the charges for common compounds from gen chem into my brain (nitrate, sulfate, etc.)? Ironically, I didn't have to remember these for any college classes, just for high school chem. :laugh:

Thank you for your responses... Everything else I have to remember / relearn seems surmountable, except this.

I'd prolly jsut know the 5 most abundant in biochemistry CNOPSH